NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mission to mars, and how the population would develop

Hi everyone!

I've been thinking about when we go to Mars, and I thought about how the population would develop.

The first people to go would probably be the scientists, pilots, and perhaps engineers to build the base.

After that, more of the same, and perhaps doctors to help people of they fall ill.

After that, it will become possible for the very rich to move to Mars.

At this point, only the smart and successful people will be on Mars, and they will no doubt eventually have kids, so the population will basically be much more intelligent than here on Earth.

It's an interesting thought!

David

The trouble with living in space is the radiation. Mars has no magnetic field to provide the protection we get here on Earth, and Mars's atmosphere doesn't provide much protection either (if any). So any bases set up would have to have a lot more protection than the ISS currently has.

NASA predict it'll be 2030 before they attempt to send anyone over there, so it's going to be a long time before anything like us mere mortals would get the chance. I wouldn't like to take my chances with a commercial company getting me there because it's all about profit with them, where as with NASA they are more concerned about safety.

If they can work out how to get a constant 1-G acceleration/braking then it'll only take about 50 hours to get there from here (at closest approach), which would be cool.

I agree that not all engineers, scientists et al are dull, boring and socially awkward folk, such stereotypes have no places here, but I'd fear a world entirely made of their type might well be. Indeed, inter-breeding amongst these individuals may have the undesired effect of producing a world of thick, dullards. Who knows? A world without room for philosophers, dreamers, mystics, novelists, musicians, chefs, artists, cleaners, drop-outs, hair-dressers, models, social activists, and so on, could be a living hell.

At this point, only the smart and successful people will be on Mars, and they will no doubt eventually have kids, so the population will basically be much more intelligent than here on Earth.

It's an interesting thought!

David

And yet someone still has to empty the bins ;)

The trouble with living in space is the radiation. Mars has no magnetic field to provide the protection we get here on Earth, and Mars's atmosphere doesn't provide much protection either (if any). So any bases set up would have to have a lot more protection than the ISS currently has.

NASA predict it'll be 2030 before they attempt to send anyone over there, so it's going to be a long time before anything like us mere mortals would get the chance. I wouldn't like to take my chances with a commercial company getting me there because it's all about profit with them, where as with NASA they are more concerned about safety.

If they can work out how to get a constant 1-G acceleration/braking then it'll only take about 50 hours to get there from here (at closest approach), which would be cool.

If they live underground, that should protect them, and I hope NASA will enforce strict controls on private companies, but then again, they don't seem to nowadays

Depends what you class 'successful' as being. Some see it as being wealthy, others see it as having a career. For me, these days 'success' just means getting through life in one piece with as few complications as possible, and keeping ones family.

Life can (and does) throw some extreeeeeemly unpleasant things at you and/or those you love at ANY time without warning, getting to Mars is the last thing on my mind these days, life has so far taught me to be content with the simple things in life.

If they live underground, that should protect them, and I hope NASA will enforce strict controls on private companies, but then again, they don't seem to nowadays

Reminds me of the film 'The Time Machine' ;)

In my opinion there should be a moratorium on any manned visits to Mars until everything possible has been done to look for evidence of life now or in the past. My reason being to avoid contaminating any life that is there. This probably means many decades of increasingly complicated robotic missions, including returning samples to earth. Once we have some clear answers on the existence orotherwise of life we should be clear to go ...... might take 50 years or more to get that.

In my opinion there should be a moratorium on any manned visits to Mars until everything possible has been done to look for evidence of life now or in the past. My reason being to avoid contaminating any life that is there. This probably means many decades of increasingly complicated robotic missions, including returning samples to earth. Once we have some clear answers on the existence orotherwise of life we should be clear to go ...... might take 50 years or more to get that.

I agree with your sentiment but mankind hasn't really got a good track record where the preservation of other species is involved

If I was 'very rich', why on earth would I want to go to Mars? It's an awful chemical desert with no atmosphere and bathed in radiation. Like Nevada, but without the added benefit of Oxygen.

No, if I was very rich, a not-too-remote Scottish Island would suit me better.

If I was 'very rich', why on earth would I want to go to Mars? It's an awful chemical desert with no atmosphere and bathed in radiation. Like Nevada, but without the added benefit of Oxygen.

Ok then, I'll take Nevada

How many years have we looked for signs of any life on Mars and so far none found?

Also the last sign of organic life was contamination so sending robotic systems there can just as easily cause contamination.

I would guess that earlier missions to Mars were less non-contaminated then the ones now.

I would strongly suspect that there is local contamination at the sites of the assorted landings. Could be interesting if any that may have occurred has survived

only if it has a distillery.. :grin:

How many years have we looked for signs of any life on Mars and so far none found?

Also the last sign of organic life was contamination so sending robotic systems there can just as easily cause contamination.

I would guess that earlier missions to Mars were less non-contaminated then the ones now.

I would strongly suspect that there is local contamination at the sites of the assorted landings. Could be interesting if any that may have occurred has survived

and who's to say "we" are not the result of contamination...

Yes..It's a dilemma.. but.. the big but.. we only have a finite amount of resource.. if we miss the boat.. we're stuck here!

Live there long enough and...

http://www.examiner....yes-tinted-skin

(future human + 100,000 years)

Hmmm... Emma Watson? Beautiful Freak? :p

But perhaps similar, but more rapid changes, in response to lower light levels and gravity?

As to intelligence, opinion seems divided: Bright people produce bright(er) kids? More non neuro-typical people (Oooh, controversial!)? Or a reversion to the mean? It was always mooted that one should select "ordinary" people for long-term, inter-stellar (inter-planetary?) communities - Avoid argumentative "know-alls" etc. ;)

I can't believe we've got this far through the thread without mentioning "B Ark"

I think Mars would be a great adventure for any aspiring politician, telphone sanitiser etc. etc.

We should really encourage them on this epic adventure ;-)

When man does eventually colonize the outer planets within our solar system or even further afield as time goes by, could you just imagine what it would be like, if we cannot get on here on Earth, what makes it different out in space, man would probably create intergalactic war amongst planetary humans, greed for resources, minerals etc. I strongly believe that one day humans will move and colonize many planets.

Archived