Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Sun - 16th Jun 2013

David Smith

Finally a brief gap in the clouds. Managed to rattle off a couple of hundred but more than half were cloud affected. Still at least the wind has dropped today. Stacked 55 in the end, from the 80 I fed into R5.1) and am reasonably pleased with the result.

Last couple of days (with spots on either side of the Suns' disk) it has been very obvious that the focus point for the two limbs is different through my scope. Do others find this? I can get around this by shooting two runs at different focus points and then combining them (didn't have time today). I had suspected this before and this does help to explain the lack of clarity in the faculae at the limbs on my shots.

9057532459_60b0448234_o.jpg

20130616 by David_The_Bears_Fan, on Flickr

And a crop of the new group

9057645255_78e96dd557_o.jpg

20130616_Crop by David_The_Bears_Fan, on Flickr

Nice gap catching ... :laugh:

If there's a marked difference in focus from one side to the other I suspect somethings not sitting square , ie the chip is tilted to the focal plane somehow , slop in the focuser tube maybe ?

Thanks chaps. Probably my hurrying to capture during a gap and not making sure the T adaptor is sqaure in the focuser. There is quite a bit of focuser slop as I rack in and out anyway so could just be that I suppose. Something else to remember when I am presented with a few minutes gap.

Archived