Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Roof designs help

bcfcciderhead

Finally got my shed to build my observatory, it's a 6x8 with an apex roof.

Ways hoping to do a "roll on, roll off" design style roof but i could be lacking in space to allow it to "roll".

So im looking to you clever folk to give me a few ideals for the roof,

All i can come up with is leaving the roof as an Apex and having it hinged so both sides open like a big box,

but the size and strength of the sides and hinges worry me a bit as well as the weight of the roofs when opening and closing...counter weights?

If anyone got any help with this or a link on the web to a few design's i would been very grateful

Thanks Dave

As you've already noted one big challenge is the weight when opening and closing and also ensuring a weather proof seal on the apex. I think I have in the past come across examples of where it has been done, with various methods of counterweights. Here's an interesting design where the whole roof rotates off to one side: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/68379-rotating-roof-obsy-pics/

It's certainly doable but as you're clearly aware, a little bit more design effort is required than the usual ROR. Good luck with the project :smile:

One option is to make runners on the inside of the gable end and for the each side of the roof to slide down these to rest against the sides of the shed. In this case the roof panel has rollers/wheels on each end but only at the top. The botton bit of the roof panel is loose but is able to pivot on the top runners. To open, the bottom half of the panel is lifted from its parked position meaning the panel can then be slid downwards and then when its a the bottom it can hang freely from the runner mechanism. Although the weight is still there this makes it more manageable as it is sliding along a single plane, rather than around a pivot which changes the loading depending on its angle.

Im not sure it this explains it very well but I hope it gives you some ideas.

Cheers

If I were doing this, but not having a conventional roll-off (and I can understand why not - the waste of 8'x6' is very annoying if it can't be used to sit a warm room with pent roof underneath) I would consider using a motorized garage roller door. I'm sure I've seen one recently on here.

Thanks for help guys, always some good comments.

still thinking of my first plan but using 2 small boat trailer winches to aid opening and closing.

like your ideal Astronymonkey and looking into that, seems an easy way to open and close.

once I'm somewhere near to the build of the roof I will let you guys know how I'm getting on.

Thanks for help guys, always some good comments.

still thinking of my first plan but using 2 small boat trailer winches to aid opening and closing.

like your ideal Astronymonkey and looking into that, seems an easy way to open and close.

once I'm somewhere near to the build of the roof I will let you guys know how I'm getting on.

Why 2 winches? I worked out a system using one reversible 12v winch with ropes and pulleys but decided to use the winch as an equipment hoist to change scopes on the mount instead. I find it easier to open and close my roof by hand - just takes a few seconds and it moves freely enough that I can push it with one finger - not that I do, of course :D

Archived