Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First scope ordered!

Hi

Well, after much research (SGL, Cloudy Nights etc) I've just taken the plunge and ordered my first telescope and a few accessories for me and my son for Christmas from that nice guy Steve at FLO:

Celestron NexStar 8SE

Celestron PowerTank 7Ah

Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom

Meade ND96 Moon Filter

Celestron Dew Shield

I'm hoping this will keep us entertained for some time to come!

Comments or suggestions for additional accessories are most welcome. Steve at FLO mentioned that a new diagonal might be worth considering. I've also read that a replacement finder would be a worthwhile investment to avoid back strain ;-) Maybe a 32mm EP or x2 Barlow?

Thanks for any advice!

Regards

John

Excellent choice of kit.

You might like to consider a 40mm Celestron Omni eyepiece which would give x50 for low power/wide field observing.

I would put the barlow on hold for now as the zoom eyepiece will give magnification upto x250 which unless you have excellent skies is the max you will be able to use most nights.

If you keep the scope indoors it will need AT LEAST 2 hours cooling to get the best from it.

Finally you should invest in some Bob's Knobs direct from the USA so you can keep the scope well collimated - this is fairly easy to do and essential for good planetary views.

The GOTO function will enhance your enjoyment - I wish you clear skies.

Hi. John,

Congratulations on your purchase of your telescope. You and your son are going to get a lot of pleasure out of it, that's for sure.

If you need any help, be it from Steve himself, or SGL members, all you have to do is ask.

Best Wishes.

Ron. :(

With the goto function on that scope, I wouldn't bother with anything more than a red-dot finder, for your initial set up. After that, the goto will do the finding. When using my refractor, I sometimes use a hand mirror to line up the reddot finder, so I don't have to get down on my hands and knees with my neck craned skyward. It works well on bright objects like planets and reference stars.

Nice one John, that should keep you and your son amused for quite some time :(.

Other than what you've got, the only things I could suggest would be a book like this one as you're going to need to familiarise yourself with a few names of the brighter stars memorised so you can align the GOTO system: http://tinyurl.com/yv2h2g , a red torch so you can read it while you're out without losing your might vision and some warm clothing!!

Tony..

Archived