NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn 30th May

Erquy

Happy with that saturn (Canon EOS1100D unmodded, 2,5 barlow, no filters on a C8).

post-27995-0-33052600-1369994578_thumb.jpost-27995-0-33052600-1369994578_thumb.j

Seeing was good this time but I have seen better (used 30% of about 15 000 frames, preprocess with PIPP for sorting + getting right colors -using the histogram strectch option, to be tickle as not automatically pre-selected when processing as "plenatary" is selected, a little wonder in my case as without this, saturn is always yellow/brownish without its blue tone -a tip maybe for many using DSLR for saturn, as I often see posted such poor colored saturn when shot with a DSLR, while PIPP´s option seems to adress this very well -and I have not played changing the standard options of it)

Also it sounds I am out of collimation (just got the new C8) so some improvement there

Hi

for the frame/rotation issue, I am also surprised, especially the AVI were 1st taken over maybe 25 minutes periods (5 avi´s of various length and of various parameters in Movrec -ISO of 800, 1600, speed 1/10 to 1/50-) as I was a bit experimenting. Then finally I simply joined all those videos into 1 in PIPP and went for a 30% selection (the seeing was this kind of typical "good" one, 1-2 sec very sharp and nice, 1-2 sec of extremely disturbed, and this is clearly seen once joined and ranked in quality, so I simply took the 30% best out of all those frame -I manage recording at 27 FPS in movrec)

Also PIPP is fantastic to make right color when tickling this option on histogram strech (as mentioned, if not, I never manage to get a nice color mix)

Thanks for the explanation Erquy, i am not 100% sure but Winjupos should be able to Derotate the OSC Avi files you have, have you looked at using it yet ?

Run each avi through AS!2 and get a stacked image from each avi, sharpen a little in Registax (makes it easier to align the Saturn outline in WinJupos) put these into WinJupos & do an Image Measurement & i think you would select 'COLOUR' on the Adjustment > Channel Tab, once you have the 5 .img files drop them into the De Rotation Of Images section to get your final stacked image, i have not used WinJupos for OSC captures but i'm sure that's the workflow.

It's more time spent but well worth the effort, here's a tutorial link http://www.rkblog.rk.edu.pl/w/p/planetary-maps-and-de-rotation-winjupos/ in case you decide to give it a go.

Hi ewan

Thanks all suggestions. I never looked at winjupos but i have it on my agenda. Regarding as2, i tried it several times, and also in this case, but i cannot see really any benefits on individual avi/joined one then wavelet in registax, as compared to do everything in registax but then i understand your approach with winjupos . I will definitively give it a try when i find the time (weather is not looking that nice during next week... As mentioned, pipp is great to preprocess quality, crop and in particular this histogram strecth which reveal all color in my case. Also movrec is great, easy to use (and free)

About my set up with dslr which seems to give surprisingly good results, i would add that i use a stock unmodded one and no filters of any kind. No particular settings in the canon apart

- white balance set on daylight (since i started, as widely recommanded)

- auto lightning disabled: if enable it causes the fps dropping rapidly to 2-3 fps whem connected to movrec (seem to be specific for this combo 1100d/movrec, as no issue with other canon compatible capturing software to be reported with 1100d and other canon not having such function work fine (i already posted here and also elsewhere about this tip - i found it myself after hours spending checking various os, computer, drivers, a number of setting on the canon -and also hours on the web without finding any answers-

- no memory card in the canon (another issue specific to movrec, also for other canon), again drop in fps- don t ask me why, i am not a computer guy

Overall AS!2 is better than Registax but maybe its not so noticable when using the Canon, i have tried PIPP then into AS!2 but find using AS!2 & WinJupos gives a sharper image, i would say try shooting 3 x 5-6 minute avis & process them individually then use Winjupo.

Good luck what ever you choose & keep capturing :-)

Archived