NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light with my 200p SATURN

Yes my first view was through a 4.5" Meade a couple of weeks ago as well. After going to my local club in the hope to see Saturn that night, was a bit disappointed as the clouds came over, not expecting to see much of anything else that night I made my way home. After getting home and spotting a small break in the cloud I dragged the scope outside that was on loan to me and started looking for objects not knowing exactly were Saturn should be, homed in on this bright object started adjusting the scope and thought what's that its a bit of an odd shape must be something wrong with the lens I was using, but then it dawned on me, and with the other lens in THERE IT WAS my first view of Saturn. LOL and that's when the scope envy started hey presto now I have a 8" newt Sky watcher 200P......... GOD help me and my bank balance :grin: but yes its a good memory.

I think I will always remember my first view of Saturn.

Everyone does. The fact that Kris had his first view with an 8" scope and at a time when Saturn's rings are very wide open..............even better.

My first view was through a 90mm refractor and at a time when the tilt of the planet meant its rings appeared fairly closed. It was still the biggest "WOW", I have ever had in my observing history.

Yup, my first view of Saturn was last week and I just watched it and watched it until my hands froze.

Then was away with friends for the weekend to Derbs and took the scope, lined Saturn up and asked who wanted to view. Every time someone new had a look there was a squeak of "wow" or something similar. I guess it's that we're seeing something so iconic with our own eyes (and the odd bit of mirror and glass), like seeing Sydney Opera House or the Chrysler building for the first time, only more so.

Am excited about giving it a go again tonight, now that I've collimated my scope (and hopefully made things better, not worse!).

C.

Archived