Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stuff I might need for my Schmidt Cassegrain C11

emadmoussa

Many of us who were involved in my previous threads knew that I was relatively new to Schmidt Cassegrains. I took the plunge and went for one of the top range, the Celestron C11. Following this purchase I've become recognizable on the street. If you see a guy with the inside of pockets hanging out...then it's me :D Anyway, I don't regret it as I'm sure it'll pay off.

OK, now as I'm learning more about SCTs, I've come to realize that I need - or MIGHT - need several improvements to make my life a bit easier and of course to facilitate what I'm going to use the telescope for. First thing, I made a nice looking - or maybe in my eyes - dew shield out of a £2 exercise mat I come across in a charity shop (I can't imagine anybody in a charity shop would imagine this mat being used as an astronomical tool :D). A little bit of cutting, gluing, painting and velcro-ing...voila!! A dew shield.

Anyways, a number of things I'm considering and hope some will give me an advice.

1- Dual focuser. I have my eye on the GSO/Revelation SCT dual focuser. For half the price of the Baader equivalent it seems like a good deal. Note, I don't think the standard eyepiece inlet on the C11 is good enough to handle heavy equipment like large eyepieces or CCD/DSLR cameras - hence the look for a focuser.

2- Dovetail to be fitted on the top and act as two things: a carry handle and platform for guidescope or quick-release equipment. I still think it'll be ideal if I can find an ''actual carry handle'' to be fitted onto the C11. I'm thinking a solid bath grab handle can do the trick if I figure out how to bolt it into the dovetail. Any thoughts?

3 - Other accessories I should consider?

Thanks!!

post-27451-0-36625100-1369581521_thumb.j

here is an old thread that has a "few" of the things that are useful

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/150001-any-clicklock-users-here/

Dew control

focus mask

a bunch of Ethos

Dew control is my next project for the winter, I think for now a dew shield can do. Not much dew in the air these days. As for the focus mask, yes it will be required if I'm intending to do some DSOs imaging. I do have a different rig for this purpose :)

Can you imagine if I didn't have a Telrad finder :D I am not sure I need the Bob's knobs. As for flocking, not a clue. :)

Flock:-

If you have an electric razor save all the shavings until you have enough to completely cover the inside of your dew shield then bond them to it :grin:

Alternatively, buy some flock and stick it to the inside, it is normally electrically charged to make sure all the individual flock strands point in the same direction - it helps with moisture control :grin:

You can flock anything - very messy job :smiley:

Flock:-

If you have an electric razor save all the shavings until you have enough to completely cover the inside of your dew shield then bond them to it :grin:

Alternatively, buy some flock and stick it to the inside, it is normally electrically charged to make sure all the individual flock strands point in the same direction - it helps with moisture control :grin:

You can flock anything - very messy job :smiley:

Dude, it's a telescope not q barber's shop :D no, seriously, I looked at the flocking thingy. I don't think it's worth the hassle. Same as Bob's knobs, a personal preference I guess.

The dew shield was enough for my 6SE even on the coldest of nights. :lipsrsealed:

I guess with the difference in the size of the corrector plate the 925 may be more of a dew magnet, having said that the 6SE will take some beating for its addiction to dew.

Just remember to put the front cover back on before you bring it back into the house and point the scope downward, every little helps :smiley:

Get a Losmandy dovetail if you don't already have one, then use one of these (credit to m.tweedy for suggesting it to me early one, and I will be eternally grateful :cool: ) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astrodevelopments-Losmandy-style-dovetail-safety-clamp-scope-mounting-plate-/270977887187?pt=UK_Telescope_Mounts&hash=item3f178a6bd3

A dew heater is good to have, but get the strap type rather than integrated with the shield. I'm no all-nighter, but I've found that out of a dozen sessions with the C11, the dew heater has been on twice. Nights like last night didn't need it, the corrector was dew free after my (3 hour) session. Out of the times I've used the heater, once it couldn't keep the corrector clear and left me with a little donut of dew around the secondary. It is a fair sized piece of glass :D and my weather forecasting isn't up to much, but I've found I use the heater with the C8 more - probably because it's more grab and go rather than plan and deploy ;)

How has that exercise mat got Celestron stamped on it?

2" Williams Optics di-electric diagonal

4-port dew heater controller

I have the Baader Steeltrack focuser on my 8SE, it's very very good IMO.

If you can get a hold of dew-not dew straps you wont need a controller. They are specially designed to run at the perfect temperature and use half the power of most other types. Then you will just need a hub which are cheap as chips.

So an 11" dew strap and a 2" one for your EP's. The 2" will work perfectly well for 1.25" EP's also.

NB Found them both http://www.modernast....html#accDewNot

24 quid for your hub and shade over 70 for the strips. I used one and still have the EP 2" strip and they work perfectly fine.

How has that exercise mat got Celestron stamped on it?

2" Williams Optics di-electric diagonal

4-port dew heater controller

I have the Baader Steeltrack focuser on my 8SE, it's very very good IMO.

It's the wife, she's an artist. She volunteered to print the Celestron on it. :)

Archived