NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn 22/05 Skywatcher Heritage 130p

Hermit

Here's my first shot of Saturn, via the Skywatcher Heritage 130p and Synscan Alt-az GoTo, Philips SPC-900, 3x TAL Barlow, then stacked in Registax. Around 2400 frames at 30fps, I stacked the best 60%. Even though I was in a fairly sheltered position, it was quite breezy.

I know it's not a Damian Peach, but I'm very pleased with this. :grin:

I did struggle with the focus, as I can never get it sharp enough with the Barlow, and I'm assuming that I'm pushing the scope to its limits at around 300x magnification?

Would an extension tube work to increase the mag even further?

Any tips would be much appreciated, please?

Thanks.

Saturn 23_05_2013 00_02_23.bmp

That is a great result, nice work!

I did struggle with the focus, as I can never get it sharp enough with the Barlow, and I'm assuming that I'm pushing the scope to its limits at around 300x magnification?

A picky point I know, but when you are imaging you can't really talk about magnification as you would with ordinary observing, it does not make any sense.

Cheers,

Chris

Very good image Mr Hermit. As Chris says in imaging we don't talk about x magnification its about the focal ratio so a 3x barlow is giving you f15 and with an extension tube (any old barlow with the lens unscrewed) you can push it to f20-25. Any more than that is going to be tough with Saturn being so low. I would also capture more frames typically using 6 min avis.

Thanks for tbe comments.

I'll get a very cheap barlow and give the extension tube a go, wasnt expecting to be able to increase the focal length any more with any planet and get any images worth keeping.

I was basing the "magnification" on the webcam being the equivalent of a 6mm eyepiece from what I read, but focal length makes more sense, I think.

As Stuart says, F/20 to F/25 are good values to aim for with Saturn and the SPC-900. Just to complicate things, that focal ratio value is different for cameras with different sized pixels.

About the webcam magnification being equivalent to a 6mm EP statement; this statement needs to be challenged whenever you see it to stop other people from reading it, believing it and worst of all repeating it!

Cheers,

Chris

That's pretty impressive. I tried Saturn with a heritage and spc900 but with x2 Barlow, but mine wasn't nearly this good. It makes me want to give it another and try harder.

Thanks. There are so many variables that can affect the outcome, both during capture and post-processing, I think I was quite fortunate on Wednesday night.

Will try again with an extension tube, then bring on Mars next year!

Saturn is pretty tough for us mortals, don't be fooled by some of the outstanding images you see on here. it is quite low at the moment, not very bright or very large, and then there is the seeing conditions!

i have a C9.25/DMK21 and i have managed a few reasonable images, but nothing am particularly pleased with. but it is all part of the fun of the journey, 3 years ago i had never even taken a "proper" astro image!

Archived