NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first Schmidt Cassegrain, any tips?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes indeedy, a little 'frac is a C11's best friend :D

Another item for your shopping list... nice long focal length eyepiece... SWA 40, Aero 40, Panoptic 41, LVW42, XW40 or similar. Some people swear by the TV plossl 55mm, which gives the same amount of sky.

Oh and a click lock visual back - for the C11 you'd need the 3.25" version. Saves no end of time and frustration getting the EP in a comfortable viewing position when the EQ mount has been throwing the eyepiece around like it's juggling it :eek:

One of our guests bought two 11 inch SCTs without corrector plates recently. (They'd been broken.) He just made new ones himself. As you do... :Envy:

He then turned them into binoculars. :eek: :eek:

Olly

How could you make them? They're not just glass... o)

I dont know what mount your putting

it on,but this is a mod worth doing.

The C11, is a bit of a lump, to get on

& off the mount.

http://www.harrisont...etail_Bars.html

http://www.firstligh...cg5-mounts.html

Steve.

My C14 is a big lump, but I have no issues with mounting it on my own. Actually I find it easier than with my old C9.25, but that is down to technique! This is pretty much how I do it:

Cheers,

Chris

The C11 is almost the same weight as my 152/900 refractor and I don't have a problem mounting it with one arm. The difference the frac has a handle on top which makes life much easier. I guess if I can add a handle to the C11, things will turn easier.

post-27451-0-06697700-1367074088_thumb.j

post-27451-0-50143300-1367073954_thumb.j

Does anybody know where to get handle grips from?

My C8 came with a strap as a handle which did make mounting easier, but I removed it when I installed my big finder. I must say I was always paranoid about that strap snapping, so really did not like to use it. A solid wooden handle (something like 18mm birch plywood, or a handy piece of ash) could easily be made, I suppose

Nice summer project for me, come to think of it.

The C11 is almost the same weight as my 152/900 refractor and I don't have a problem mounting it with one arm. The difference the frac has a handle on top which makes life much easier. I guess if I can add a handle to the C11, things will turn easier.

Does anybody know where to get handle grips from?

I don't know where you can get hand grip like those, but I have fitted on of this to the top of my C925. It serves as a handle during assembly and somewhere to mount my finder when I'm observing. Overall, I think it's the second most worthwhile upgrade, after the dew shield. I'd rank it higher than crayford or Bob's knob.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-guidescope-rings-and-systems/adm-vixen-dovetail-for-ota.html

I don't know where you can get hand grip like those, but I have fitted on of this to the top of my C925. It serves as a handle during assembly and somewhere to mount my finder when I'm observing. Overall, I think it's the second most worthwhile upgrade, after the dew shield. I'd rank it higher than crayford or Bob's knob.

http://www.firstligh...il-for-ota.html

Coolio!! Do you have a photo of the set-up?

This can do :) Is it this dovetail? http://www.firstligh...il-for-ota.html

I like your guide scope, Altaire Astro?

Yes that is the ADM dovetail.

The finder/guidescope is something I found in the second hand bin of an astronomy dealer in Hong Kong. 60mm f3.7 with 1.25" R&P focuser with compression ring fitting and guide ring. Probably the best £20 I've ever spent.

The reticule is a Vixen GA4 manual guider, unfortunately mine is 0.965" which significantly restricts the FOV and the eyepiece I can use with it. Vixen stopped making them and the 1.25" one is really hard to find.

I would get a set of Bob's knobs for collimation, and rig up some kind of electric focusser. This was my attempt with a skywatcher autofocusser and it worked very well. I also change the focusser for the one shown (microtouch?)

IMG_3534.jpg

Yes that is the ADM dovetail.

The finder/guidescope is something I found in the second hand bin of an astronomy dealer in Hong Kong. 60mm f3.7 with 1.25" R&P focuser with compression ring fitting and guide ring. Probably the best £20 I've ever spent.

The reticule is a Vixen GA4 manual guider, unfortunately mine is 0.965" which significantly restricts the FOV and the eyepiece I can use with it. Vixen stopped making them and the 1.25" one is really hard to find.

Yep, this is the kind of lucky deals :)

I'm just curious, the ADM dovetail is screwed directly into the tube? Is it really enough to take the weight of the C11, say, if you want to use it as a grab handle?

I also noticed a lot of guys use some sort of clamps to hold the C11 dovetail on the NEQ6.

I would get a set of Bob's knobs for collimation, and rig up some kind of electric focusser. This was my attempt with a skywatcher autofocusser and it worked very well. I also change the focusser for the one shown (microtouch?)

IMG_3534.jpg

That's a very good idea. I'm not planning on adding a motor drive to the focuser on the C11...well, at least for now. I've got one with Hitech Astro on the 80ED... :)

There's a lot of fuss about replacing the focuser, I really don't see why the standard Celestron focuser is not that good. For me it feels smooth and sturdy. Any advantage of the micro-focuser? Is the price justified?

If you are not going to add a focusser to the main output, then I would consider adding the microtouch. However, they are very expensive, but they are quality kit. I was lucky and got mine second hand from the classifieds. I really think some kind of motor focusser is essential to prevent vibration or movement when viewing or focussing at high magnification. I was using it for imaging, and it meant I could view the image on the screen while I was focussing under PC control.

If you are not going to add a focusser to the main output, then I would consider adding the microtouch. However, they are very expensive, but they are quality kit. I was lucky and got mine second hand from the classifieds. I really think some kind of motor focusser is essential to prevent vibration or movement when viewing or focussing at high magnification. I was using it for imaging, and it meant I could view the image on the screen while I was focussing under PC control.

I am considering a dual speed focuser. I think in terms of AP it'll be more handy and will make adding a motor later easier. Plus it's not exactly a bank breaker :)

Archived