Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Howie Glatter Parallizer

Only just spotted these today. Sounds like a new type of tazer gun for riot police to me but I am interested if anyone has seen or even used one.

I am maybe in the market for one and although a little more expensive than a baader steeltrack, it does have a pretty good come buy me write up, anyone know anything about it then?

http://www.firstligh...parallizer.html

Just received one of these after doing a little research and I have to say i am very impressed by the quality of it. Looks to be made from a solid piece of aluminium or similar and threaded for filters.

post-26735-0-90201000-1368872564_thumb.j

post-26735-0-17571600-1368872586_thumb.j

The design is unlike anything I have seen before and if you can see the two edges inside the barrel, they form a slight groove (for want of a better description) inside it. I am assuming the brass thumbscrew which is nylon tipped pushes the EP up into the groove and hold it perfectly in place.

Last night a friend and I collimated my scope and it is spot on. I tried with the paralizer and collimation still shows absolutely true as i would have expected. Its a little more expensive than a steel-track but its a great bit of kit and again, it is very well made and should last you a life time.

Highly recommended

I have one and it works as advertised. Make sure to read the little note that comes with the parallizer. It states to place the outer groves opposite to the set screw of the drawtube when tightening it.

Products from both Glatter and Catseye represent the best collimation tools in the market.

Jason

I have one and it works as advertised. Make sure to read the little note that comes with the parallizer. It states to place the outer groves opposite to the set screw of the drawtube when tightening it.

Products from both Glatter and Catseye represent the best collimation tools in the market.

Jason

Mine didnt come with a note Jason, could you possibly send to me via a pm please

Steve

All Howie Glatter stuff is brilliant quality and works incredibly well. See my review of his 2" laser collimator on my blog (in sig below).

Just watched the video, very interesting little review. I may decide to get one but I am not sure. The market is awash with laser collimators and I have read so much bad stuff I had decided not to bother. However the HG series appear to be a quality above most of the market stuff currently available and I may change my mind.

Going to see how I get on with the cheshire for the time being, maybe I will look into one later.........

Mate, there are laser collimators. And there are Howie Glatter laser collimators. It's true you can get a cheap one to work just as well as long ad you collimate the collimator. But personally I have had nothing but problems with them as I mention in the video. That's why there is a market for the premium ones like HG and Catseye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also bought one and received it the day before we went to the IAS, where surprisingly many people manning the stands were unaware of the device? I found it to be very precise and very quick to lock eyepieces and collimators in place with just a quick turn of the brass screw. Just wish focusers came with this design concept as standard! I emailed Howie who was more than happy to discuss the device. When I asked him about designing a focuser with his concept so that 2" eyepieces/collimators would also be held parallel, he said that he was too old to design focusers, but was talking to his buddies at Moonlite and Feathertouch, Hopefully the other focuser/telescope manufacturers will take heed as well!

• 1 year later...

Just bought a 2 inch Howie Glatter Collimator with TuBlug.   I cannot fail to be impressed by the solid feel of it.  It didn't take long for me to collimate the telescope and after checking, I wasn't surprised that it was spot on.  The placement of the collimator when checking the secondary mirror did not display any sloppy movement (something I was a little concerned about prior to carrying out the check -  considering it's cost) and that lack of movement was mirrored when I used the collimator with the HG TuBlug.  It fitted snugly in the eyepiece holder as I checked the primary.

I have used up to now, a Hotech SCA Laser Collimator; and although I have been happy with it when collimating,  I have to say, that I prefer the HG it's an impressive piece of equipment.

I've also used the HG Parallizer with a Baader collimator and not only does the parallizer feel solid but it held the collimator securely in place which I'd  checked on numerous occasions  and did not notice any deviation. 

Archived