NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nylon thumbscrews

After a little deliberation I am just going to get some nylon thumbscrews for the time being for my crayford rather than update just yet. Cost as much as anything is dictating this course of action.

I found this old post here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/45544-source-for-nylon-thumbscrews/ but the question is, what size will they be. i am useless with all this macro technical stuff. Its a standard thumbscrew fitting into a focuser, i assume they are fairly standard accross most manufacturers. Any ideas anyone?

Steve

just measure them. The diameter first, that'll be the M number you need. M4 is 4mm dia, M5 is 5mm dia etc. Next measure the length of the thread section up to the head. that's the length you need to source.

After that you just go and find them M whatever with whatever length you need. Pitch of the thread will likely be standard for whatever you find to be honest so I wouldn't worry too much about thread pitch.

I had nylon screws on one of my finders and like the bull in a china shop that I am managed to snap two of them off snagging them on my shirt cuffs. Still using a blow torch I heated up a small screwdriver and mad a slot in both of them, works fine but just a bit more fiddly.

Alan.

hi Baz

I think they are M4 but better to check. they are not expensive either way. I put some in my Antares barlow for the same reasons and they work well. I'll have a look at the 200mm dob I have at school tomorrow - actually thinking about I think they might be M3.5. in your shoes I think I'd just buy a compression 35mm 2" extension.

I think I'd just buy a compression 35mm 2" extension.

What do you recomend mate, I have looked at alsorts of options and got a little confused, but if the right option is available then I will take it

i meant to pm you shane but this will suit bomberbazz as well, 365 astronomy sell a big range of polished steel thumb screws with built in nylon tips so you get the beauty of strength and a soft face cost about 1.50 each

I know what you are saying and I did look at this one from FLO.

http://www.firstligh...sion-tubes.html

Although steve at FLO did say he wasn't sure if it would work well enough on my focuser. In case you don't know, the adaptors that come with the 300p scope for the focuser have an inverted taper (these are 50mm in length), so when the thumbscrews on the actual focuser are tightened, they pull the adaptor inward against the housing to prevent sagging etc.

That said, my heaviest EP is less than 500gram although with all the extras it is long so that would add further strain. Although I know FLO offer a good returns service if it didn't hit the mark.

I think I given the advice and my own original thinking, I shall shelve the thumbscrew option for now and order an extension tube at 50mm. The Altair is the better option I think but it depends upon return policy in case its not suitable.

Also i will get a 2 to 1.25 adaptor. I have started a new thread here about these as they are new to me> http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/186086-howie-glatter-parallizer/

Steve

when did you change your avitar ?

Just now. I felt my tribute to SPM was fulfilled and it was time to move on. The last thing that gave me great happiness was my holiday to Lanzarote, hence the new Avatar.

Would today as a reply have done ?

Archived