Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Disaster...Help!!!

emadmoussa

My NEQ6 started breaking up and making a loud creaking noise when slews the RA axis...

It starts fine..then 5-10 degrees in either direction it goes...jjjjjjjj...crreeaaaakkk..click click click....breaks up and continues...vibrates when this happens. I have the feeling something broken inside...the motor probably!!

It's still under warranty...do I need to call Optic Star? Or shall I try to open it myself and see what's going on??

What a crappy night!!!

According to Mel from EQ6 Yahoo Group, the only thing that has obviously broken was my nerves...well, true...she thinks that the mesh might got stuck or misaligned. I wouldn't open it though...not only do I lack the technical knowledge, but also I don't think I have the heart to do that....

Im just guessing that you need to adjust the backlash of the gears. My HEQ5 does exactly the same thing if the backlash is incorrectly adjusted. Loads of tutorials around on the web to do it and no need to take apart.

Does it do it when you have no scope on it?

HTH and good luck. Can't believe anything is broken

Cheers

Jamie

Having now just watched the video I am 99% certain this is the problem. Have a look here http://www.astro-baby.com/EQ6%20rebuild%20guide/EQ6%20worm%20alignment.htm Astro Baby know what to do!

I didn't try it with the scope on. All happened after I packed away everything and went inside last night. If I rotate the RA axis manually nothing happens, but when I slew at high speed the motor gets stalled and stutters.

I'm 99% sure you're fine.

I've experienced something VERY much like this on my stepper driven homebrew and thought I'd stripped the worm.. but no.

What can happen with stepper motors (I think the EQ6 is a stepper mount) is that the stepper motors if overloaded can 'slip'. That is the rotor slips against the rotating magnetic field. It sounds gastly and gives you a heart attack, but nothing is broken. This will always show first at high speed slew as that is where stepper motors are at their limit of performance, the effect is that the rotor vibrates against the field as it rotates rather than turning with the field. The solution is to reduce the load. Which may be where the dealer can help, there's the possibility a bearing is too stiff or something.

Above all

don't panic.

Derek

I'm 99% sure you're fine.

I've experienced something VERY much like this on my stepper driven homebrew and thought I'd stripped the worm.. but no.

What can happen with stepper motors (I think the EQ6 is a stepper mount) is that the stepper motors if overloaded can 'slip'. That is the rotor slips against the rotating magnetic field. It sounds gastly and gives you a heart attack, but nothing is broken. This will always show first at high speed slew as that is where stepper motors are at their limit of performance, the effect is that the rotor vibrates against the field as it rotates rather than turning with the field. The solution is to reduce the load. Which may be where the dealer can help, there's the possibility a bearing is too stiff or something.

Above all

don't panic.

Derek

I hope that's the case, Derek. The mount has been picked up by the dealer today...we'll see.

You've done the right thing. I wouldn't have potentially voided my warranty by tinkering. Send it back for repair or replacement.

I know that sounds ridiculous, but I feel paralysed without my mount :D I guess I can use my shoulders to mount the scopes when there's some clear skies :)

Definite gearing problem, worms are too tight most likley. Simple to fix but as its under warranty let the dealer have the headache instead.

If the mounts newish is might have bedded in a bit causing this. Most factory tuning can be improved on with some time and effeort but if you lack techy nous with mechanics is best to leave it alone.

Ps...another Mel who is an EQ6 mechanic......I should go and protest :). Its not me in there honest. Last time I looked in the EQ6 Yahoo group it was spam in a can city so I dont go there.

I know like...5 Melanies, now we have a new one on the list :D

Archived