NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sun - 11th May 2013

David Smith

Tricky imaging today, wind, rain and lots of fast moving cloud. Eventually was blessed with a 20 minute break / thinning of the cloud so I grabbed a couple of hundred subs. Most were cloud afflicted but a handful were not and allowed me to put this image together.

8729137682_9ab5e5def3_b.jpg

20130511 by David_The_Bears_Fan, on Flickr

Pleased with the detail in at least part of the disk I pulled this crop from the main image.

8728018541_3466edcdab_b.jpg

20130511_Close_up by David_The_Bears_Fan, on Flickr

I still need to get the whole disk in focus but I can only focus on what I can see on the cameras screen at the moment. Received a new Sandisk Extreme card today (45mb/s variety) which has helped to sped up the capture process.

Nice to see you catch a gap . . . :laugh:

I've found that I often have to do a 'multi-stack' approach when the regions of interest are spread far and wide like today , the in-built multi-align rarely works for me and I find that Reg seems to concentrate on the area in the align box.

I invariably manually align on a small distinct detail these days.

What I do is stack the selected subs a number of times , today for example I stacked three times , Top-Left , Bottom Right and Left Centre. I then restacked the 'sub-stacks' to give an image that showed detail in all the areas , just using the Top Left stack gave an image that was great on the new big spot but appeared un-focused elsewhere.

This may sound like a little long-winded approach , but if you're using only the very best frames it doesn't take that long.

Archived