Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

the sky tonight

Hi SGL,

beginner stargazer here.I was just wondering what good things i might be able to see tonight. I'm eleven and live in the malvern hills. I have a dobsonian telescope with 1200mm focal length and 150mm aperture.The sky is also very clear.

Thanking you in advance,

Ashley :rolleyes:

As it's a Bank holiday and you will be able to stay up quite late I would aim for Saturn .

You will get a great view through your scope.

He rises around 7:30 now but you'll want to leave it until around 9:30 - 10 so that the planet is a little higher to lessen the effects of the atmosphere .

You'll find him in the South-East at 9:30 , the sky won't be completely dark but that won't stop you getting a nice view as he's very bright.

Here's a screenshot from Stellarium to help you find him.

post-21219-0-06053600-1367779317_thumb.p

Enjoy your evening , I hope the weather holds up for you.

Have you heard of stellarium Ashley? It's a really great bit of FREE software that you can use to see whats in the sky at any time you like. You can even set it to show what the view is like from your own garden. That sounds like a great telescope you ve got there. Have fun with it

Around about 9 just as its getting darkish you might Just catch a glimpse of Jupiter as it goes below the western horizon ... it'll be hard to find but might stand out as the bright object on its own in that area

Good luck

If you are still up at 10.30 you might find M57 (the ring nebula) which is in Lyra. It can be tricky though. It looks like a tiny polo mint in the sky

I'm going to see if I can still make out the comet PanSTARS through binoculars and then through my scope.

Here's a site which gives its current location on a star chart. http://www.darkskytelescopehire.co.uk/chasing-comet-panstarrs-to-the-pole-star-in-may-2013/

With Stellarium and that chart you will be able to work out where in the sky it is now.

2 weeks ago I started to make my way through this list...

M65 and m66

M81 m82 m102

M95 m96 m105

M44

Jupiter

Saturn

M35

Ngc2392

Ngc2903

M87

M51

M97

maybe worth looking on google at their locations and also their magnitudes as not all may be observable for you due to Lp and scope

Have a great viewing session

Archived