Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

green laser

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A green laser attached to a goto scope is really useful in groups of telescopes. once the goto is aligned, turn it on for a couple of minutes and let all the other scopes align on the object. Its great for all those dobs to find hard objects.

*shudder* I live under the Heathrow flightpath. There's rarely fewer than three planes in my patch of sky, and there can easily be five or six, even at 11.30 at night.

Although I have a green laser (From the guys I linked to) I only use it for physics under close control. There's no way I'd go waving it around the sky at night.

So don't be fooled by laser power ratings. We have a 1.5 W pulsed laser at work and I treat it with the respect accorded to a grumpy elephant.

We sold another 10 Joule system at work today (peak power well into the Giga Watt/cm2 range......)

I have a couple of green lazers of differing powers and have found that the green laser diodes really suffer in the cold. A lower powered laser is fine as long as you keep it warm. Mount it on a scope in chilly weather and after a few minutes the power output drops dramatically but keep it in your trouser pocket and only bring it out when you need it and it will work fine. I have made a little cradle for mine and mounted that on the scope and then just lay the lazer on that when I need to use it as a finder. I have read that some people have used a piece of packing polystyrene trimmed and drilled to make an insulating case for the diode end of the laser.

Archived