Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bee Hive for Christmas (Dedicated to the Forum)

OXO

Hello Caz,

I am no expert as far as Digital Slr's are concerned but for Prime focus Astrophotography there a must (Camera attached directly into the focuser tube aka Prime Focus).

You wont be able to do things Automatically though you see you have to do it Manually so that the Camera will focus on the Stars this is because the Camera's are normally built for Daytime images and the sensitivity of the camera don't do too well with say Autofocus. What i would reccomend you do is get into Lunar Photography with a normal Digital Camera and hold the Camera to the eyepiece this is relatively easy to do and will get you some nice results quickly if a quick job is needed. I would say the Coolpix 4500 or even Coolpix 995 are the best for this kind of work, you can pick up a 995 quite cheap off Ebay and will be great for the Moon as for the Coolpix 4500 this is a much better Camera and you can do some deepsky imaging on a Budget but will require a learning curve..

At the end of the day it's down to your budget for a camera and you willingness to learn the curves of Astrophotography?plus what you want too image?.  A Toucam Pro maybe a better bet for you if you have access to a laptop or computer close by your Telescope setup? if so then 40 quid buy's you a Great Lunar and Planetry imager which is far better than most Digital Camera's for this kinda work.

Let me know what you want to image etc etc..

Thanks

James

Personally i would go for the Toucam pro Caz, this will be a great learning tool for you and will give you the needs to get some great Planetry and Lunar images. It's quite easy to do and wont take that long to learn and for 40 quid or less it's a steel!. Plus the imagers and myself will only be too happy to help you get started Caz.

Once you feel compatent in this then you can think about deep sky imaging and maybe move to a more advanced webcam(Modified) or DSLR.

Whatever you choose good luck and may the force be with you :clouds2:.

James :clouds2:

zIt's a lovely picture, but my experience of the beehive is somehow different. The first time I saw it, through binoculars, I thought it had a shape like a butterfly net, so you could almost draw a line about it with your mind. When I caught it a few nights ago, I had the same experience, but I don't quite get it with your pictures. This isn't a criticism of the quality of your pictures, but I dont feel it's quite there. It is such a marvellous cluster.

Archived