Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Howie Glatter Collimation Tools

First Light Optics has been appointed UK retailer for Howie Glatter Collimation tools :glasses2:

If Jim Fly of Catseye is the leader for 'passive' collimation tools then Howie Glatter must surely be the No.1 manufacturer of 'active' collimation devices. His lasers are regarded as the very best available and Howie's dedication to the craft is well known.

The Howie Glatter Laser collimators are already listed at our website, the Blug and tuBlug will be listed later today or tomorrow.

howie_glatter_hglc2_125-2_bottom%5B1%5D.JPG

I owned a Glatter laser for two years now. It is the best laser collimators out there.

I posted a review of my Glatter experience in another astro forum. In fact Howie has a link to my review on his home website. I compared my Glatter laser against two other mass produced laser collimators I own. I am attaching few photos:

1- Photos of the 3 laser collimators

2- Photos of the laser beam at 25 feet

3- A gif animation of a rotating Glatter laser collimator placed in a rigid V-block at 25 feet -- can't get more perfect than that.

I also covered the holographic attachments and TuBlug in my review

I got to know Howie via emails and posts in another astro forum. He is a nice guy and knowledgeable about collimation. Above all, he takes great pride of his products. I never heard of a miscollimated Glatter laser collimator.

Jason

post-17988-133877729771_thumb.jpg

post-17988-133877729776_thumb.jpg

19446v_block_at_25_feet.gif

are these lasers good for collimating a fast F/4 newtonian ? my limited understanding of collimating with a laser is that you can't centre the secondary with one but reading the info on these it would seem you can with this laser with some of the attachments that are available.

is that right ? are these an all in one solution so no need for a cheshire ?

I am going to order a 2" one too. Question I have is that they don't have the 45 degree laser target that the cheaper ones do. Is that what the Tublug is all about to provide that surface to aim the returning beam at?

are these lasers good for collimating a fast F/4 newtonian ? my limited understanding of collimating with a laser is that you can't centre the secondary with one but reading the info on these it would seem you can with this laser with some of the attachments that are available.

is that right ? are these an all in one solution so no need for a cheshire ?

Yes, a Glatter is capable of collimating an F/4 scope but you need to take your time and be precise.

With holographic attachments, you can center the secondary mirror under the focuser. There are several methods to use the holographic attachments. My method is to attach a template under the focuser to align the returning holographic grid against it. See attachment. The last attachment is an animation -- click on it. I mantually rotated the laser with the holographic attachment in the focuser.

Jason

post-17988-133877735487_thumb.jpg

post-17988-133877735494_thumb.jpg

post-17988-133877735491_thumb.gif

I am going to order a 2" one too. Question I have is that they don't have the 45 degree laser target that the cheaper ones do. Is that what the Tublug is all about to provide that surface to aim the returning beam at?

Correct. The TuBlug is an extra tool just for that. See attachments. Note, the 45 degree screen in plain white. In the attached photos I added a template.

post-17988-133877747103_thumb.jpgpost-17988-133877747106_thumb.jpg

In the following attachment, I did not use the TuBlug. I used the self-barlow attachment with a mechanic mirror to see the bottom of the laser. This method is not as convenient as the TuBlug

post-17988-133877743526_thumb.jpg

Wonder if the holographic attachment can be used to centre the secondary under the focuser in some way? I am going to buy the hologram attachment as well, very useful for RC scope collimation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank-you for your input Jason :glasses2:

We are fortunate to have your company here at SGL because - along with Jim FLY, Howie Glatter and Vic Menard - you are recognised as one of the leaders in the field of telescope collimation :icon_salut:

Steve

• 1 month later...

any idea when the concentric circle holographic attachment will be back in stock, i've clicked the notify me when back in stock button on the website but if you could give me a rough idea when that will be it would be handy

many thanks

Archived