NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrading...

Hi, I'm wanting to upgrade my scope (eventually) and I was wondering what would be best? I'm in no rush to upgrade, but would like to start saving and know what kind of price I'm aiming for. The scope I have now is in my signature.

Thanks.

Vikki.

Hi Vikki,

So many possibilities that it's hard to give any suggestions without a bit more information.

What is it about the scope you have you want to change? Do you have a budget in mind? What type of scope would you want to upgrade to, bigger newtonian, longer focal length as with an SCT? Are you looking for a different kind of mount? Are you interested in refractors?

Pat

As Pat has written, without a bit more guidance the entire Universe (no pun intended) of scopes is pretty much on offer. A little more guidance on your interests (Deep sky, planetary, visual, photography, as well as whether GoTo is appealing) will better help us guide you. And budget range, even if it is a savings target is important. You can easily spend £500 or £20,000 on a scope in this hobby.

Clear skies,

As the others have said........."more info needed". However, personally i upgraded from a 130mm scope (Heritage) to a 200mm SCT which has been brilliant. The jump from 130mm to 200mm is quite a jump and one you will really notice, whatever design of scope you go for.

Would like one I'm able to see more of the sky with, attach a camera to. Budget will probably be around £500, may go up as I save. Quite like the look of the SW dobsonian, but unsure if I'd be able to do imaging? So any advice on those would be great.

Thanks. :-)

For imaging you will need a EQ mount, but those get quite expensive for larger scopes (as they need to be very rigid especially for photographic use); For some wide field imaging and planets you could get a (much cheaper) EQ platform and a Dobson.

Else a dobson is not very good for photographing, I was cursing more then I should have when trying to take some planet snapshots with camera & 1300mm focal length telescope :-)

as mentioned, the dob isn't really the setup for imaging but for £500 you'd get one hell of a visual setup

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-dobsonian.html.

or for a bit more

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-flextube-dobsonian.html

Just make sure you can move them :). A scope's not much use if it's stuck in the corner :(

Could I buy a webcam that I can use straight away or would I have to mod them? The only thing I worry about as I have no idea what I'd need to do. x

You can buy some that work right out of the box such as the Celestron Neximage. This webcam gets mixed reviews for its price. Many people like to buy a Phillips SPC? webcam and modify it as it is a lot cheaper and delivers really good results.

I'm no expert and can only tell you what i have read here about both.

Here's a thread about the Celestron Neximage:

Archived