NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anybody doing this?

emadmoussa

I would think using a LP filter for such a purpose would introduce unnatural colouration aspects to the moon. You would be much better of using a neutral density filter like this one ( http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/baader-neutral-density-moon-filters.html ) which will reduce brightness without affecting the colour.

I've neglected to remove my LPR filter on occasion, and used it for imaging... shooting RAW and applying a custom white balance resolved the colour tint, but it's not needed for imaging the moon anyway. For visual, I'd agree with an ND filter, I don't think the SW LPR filter cuts enough light to be worth the bother.

I find that the Baader Neodymium (which looks pink but enhances blue) works superbly on the moon, Jupiter and Mars. i have briefly used a generic LPR filter on the moon and the effect was almost identical. I'd say for visual it should provide a good level of contrast and a very natural grey tone to the moon. never imaged.

I think a light pollution filter is largely irrelevant for lunar imaging as you want to capture the light pollution? I may be wrong but I think the more important issue is reducing the effects of poor atmospheric conditions for which a good quality red filter like the Baader 2" offering might be better?

Archived