Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

To Skytee 2 or not to Skytee 2...

ibraidwo

Hi all,

I have been flitting between decisions on mounts like a bumble bee between flowers!

My first thoughts were an AZ4, then an EQ5 and now a Skytee 2... Note the steady price increments...

I currently have three OTAs (my wife thinks this is one too many) and I like the idea of being able to mount 2 scopes at once and work off of one finder, and maybe feed one to my TV via my Lifecam.

I am not into imaging at the moment and am a little concerned with the set-up time of an EQ type mount, so quite like the idea of a simple alt/az mount which can handle more than my current goto or travel set-up.

My concerns however are:

- Is the puck/saddle upgrades a must do, or have the standard ones been sufficiently improved? maybe upgrade one as the second would hold a lighter scope?

- They are generally sold with (or without) 1.75" stainless steel tripod legs, but I have also read that others have used 2" legs - where are the latter ones from? and is the difference of any significance?

- Am I going to need an extention pillar for my Lyra, and if so, how tall? N where sourced from?

- Will I need counter weights if I mix and match my three scopes? which ones are best? (I see some nice narrower matchung white ones have been used)

All of these concerns will increase the overall cost... However I am very keen to buy something that will last me for sometime - limiting the 'yes dearest, I really do need to upgrade' challenges :-)

I would love to make it goto in the future - I wonder if I could re-purpose my synscan motors and controller...

Thanks in advance for any and all responses to my many questions.

Ian

Hi Ibraidwo

I was in a similar position to you about six months ago and opted to go for the skytee2. It was a decision that I haven't regretted. It is a solid mount with a very smooth action using the slow-mo controls and can accept a decent amount of weight (purportedly 15Kg though my set up weighs about 9Kg). My friend has an AZ4 and this mount just seems cheap and flimsy in comparison. Like you set up time is important to me and you can be out observing in just a couple of minutes.

I can't comment on the choice of tripod as I went for a wooden Berlebach figuring that this would last me a lifetime.

As to the saddle upgrade, if your using your WO ZS66 the supplied saddle is more than adequate. I took advice and went for the APM upgrade (£60 from FLO) because I'm mounting a heavier scope (110mm doublet) and when it's pointing near the zenith with an expensive eyepiece it certainly gives you piece of mind and is a worthwhile investment IMO.

I don't know whether you will need an extension pillar for your lyra.

You will need counterweights if you are using the top mount but not if you use the side mount (in this instance you will have to balance the scope more accurately). I bought Skwatcher counterweights from FLO for £30 and these work fine. The cost all adds up though.

To summarise I would highly reccommend the skytee for convienience, solidity and weight carrying ability. It is a quality bit of kit and you won't be disappointed with it wheras i would have if I'd bought the AZ4.

It is worth mentioning that I did have a niggle with the skytee 2 when I first purchased it in that there was some "play" in the vertical movement or the vertical control. I did an on-line search and other people had had the same problem. However, this was easily remedied by removing one of the manifolds and tightening a couple of bolts. Since then no problems.

All the best

Steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your detailed response and I also note that it was your first post - welcome to SGL!

One additional question that it does raise is why does it need counterweights when using the top mount, as this seems counter intuitive (although I did read this on another post also), I would expect more problems the further away from centre the scope was (i.e. on the end).

Any idea why you need to counterweight it when using the top mount?

Thanks again,

Ian

Presumably because you can balance a scope on an end mount (like the ones in my avatar pic) by moving along the dovetail - so that the front part of the scope balances the back part. But if you have a mount on top of the crossbar bit, then unless you have a counterweight underneath, the weight of the scope will try and rotate things so the scopes hanging underneath the crossbar.

My mount is one of the Giro series (from bresser these days, I think). It doesn't have slow motions (and I find it easier just to push the scope where I want it).

You can get a counterweight bar that screws in on one side (and basically extends the crossbar) if you're using a single heavy scope - the azimuth runs smoother if you're roughly balanced side-to-side, and it'll take heavy scopes.

Oops - sorry, the avatar pic is on one of my other forums - it's basically a T shape mount, with dovetail clamps facing out on each end of the crossbar; more or less a twin-scope metal refractor equivalent of a dob mount :)

I see what you're saying jerryTheC... that makes a lot of sense...

I was thinking about how it sits from a tripod perspective (i.e. side-to-side) as opposed to it rotating around the bar... which your last comment covers...

I was thinking about mounting my 130P or WO ZS66 on one side with the 4" Lyra on the other.

Steve, I have been trying to come out and join everyone again for some time but haven't been able to - will try harder! I expect to place an order in the next week as I have the Lyra but no mount to put it on - so may not get chance to see one in action first...

• 1 month later...
- They are generally sold with (or without) 1.75" stainless steel tripod legs, but I have also read that others have used 2" legs - where are the latter ones from? and is the difference of any significance?

I believe that the 2" tripod may be the same as supplied with celestron CG5's - I'd be interested to hear if this is true as I may be interested in the Skytee 2

Archived