Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A bunch of Fuzzies (M84, M86, and all their little friends)

Tim

As it was clear every night last week, I had a go at this one again. The skies were not brilliantly dark, and there was a bit of muck in the air, but I plugged away anyway. I think it ended up around 10 hours worth of 20 minute subs, again using the Skywatcher Esprit 150ED. I really like the way it permits small stars to stay small, and when stars are very close, still cleanly split them.

Cheers

1ee627a8-db6d-41f7-b13f-7e2f243d1604_thumb.png

Very nice indeed. There is one there (NGC 4413 if my memory serves me) that I have not seen but which should be within range, but now I know what to look out for.

How many of these are visible in an eyepiece? The M's obviously, but does Markarians chain actually LOOK like a chain in a modest telescope?

Cheers

How many of these are visible in an eyepiece? The M's obviously, but does Markarians chain actually LOOK like a chain in a modest telescope?

Cheers

In my C8 I could clearly see M86 and M84, and their attendant galaxies NGC 4387, NGC 4388 (lovely elongated object), NGC 4425, and the "Eyes" NGC 4435 and NGC 4438. NGC 4440 could be seen southwards in the same FOV I tried to see if NGC 4413 (a.k.a. NGC 4407) could be spotted, but it was beyond me at this point, and likewise for NGC 4402. Further out I spotted NGC 4473 and NGC 4477, and NGC 4459.

There is a nice sketch here

http://www.elisanet.fi/jere.kahanpaa/astro/scan/m/m084.htm

Archived