Don't throw your "bad" subs away!

Try stacking them, you may be quite surprised as to what comes out. I was hampered on Saturday by thin cloud and was about to give in, but since I was already set up I thought I might as well continue. Well as you can see the subs progressively got worse but I am still surprised at how much I could get out of stacked the image. Not best in class, but better than nothing at all...

Modified Canon 1100D with a Canon 70-200mm F/4 L IS mounted on an AstroTrac. Taken outside Horncastle in Lincolnshire.

Thanks for looking.

8632285620_9961250459_b.jpg

2013-04-06 - Comet C-2011 L4 (PanSTARRS) by StuartJPP, on Flickr

And here are the subs I captured...

badsubs.jpg

Thanks everyone :icon_salut:

Very impressive Stuart and good advice. You're obviously a master at PP.

The software does all the work, I just use it.

Wow! Very nice, how did you get rid of the light pollution?

After stacking (which removed a lot) and then removed the severe gradient all I did was align the colours and tweak the histogram.

That's really good. Like the framing, and a good lesson too.

I really need to nail polar alignment of my astrotrac, I tried this myself but just couldn't get it aligned.

Thanks Lee, I learned to do polar alignment on the AstroTrac last year during the summer months, a lot warmer and more opportunities. Even though imaging was out of the question I could set my camera to ISO100 and try and push the tracking time as much as I could. Stick to it, once you get the hang of it you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

Archived