NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does any body know how I could improve my sight on Jupiter?

So tonight I saw Jupiter for the first time. It was a little smaller than I thought it would be and could only see 1 cloud band, I know one way for seeing it better is to spend a little longer viewing it, but is there any other tips?

basically get your magnification to about 100x or more, make sure your scope is cooled and collimated and observe for longer periods. half an hour or more of 'constant' staring will reveal a lot more detail on Jupiter than several quick peeks.

Whats the scope and the eyepieces that you have and use.

100x should give a good view if the optical system is capable it, by capable I mean can accept the magnification and will produce a sharp contrasty image. At 60x if the image is sharp then 2 bands is easy to see, but if the image is soft then the bands are lost.

The best advice may be just to be patient. Jupiter was at opposition (as close as it gets to us) at the start of December 2012 and will reach opposition again at the start of January 2014. I think it's only about eight weeks until conjunction when it is the opposite side of the Sun from us and as far away as it gets, so it's not the best of targets right now.

View it in the early evening when it's still high in the sky. Check collimation and make sure the scope is cooled. Finally, you need clear skies.

The sky was covered with thin high level clouds in the last few 'clear' nights in Southampton. Those clouds look transparent from the ground, but it's like looking through frosted glass once you use a telescope at high magnification. There is nothing you can do about these clouds.

Whats the scope and the eyepieces that you have and use.

100x should give a good view if the optical system is capable it, by capable I mean can accept the magnification and will produce a sharp contrasty image. At 60x if the image is sharp then 2 bands is easy to see, but if the image is soft then the bands are lost.

I am using the Celestron Astromaster 114 EQ which, since I started on here, I hear isn't a very well-thought of telescope. I used the 12.5 mm and 6 mm eyepieces to view it.

I am using the Celestron Astromaster 114 EQ which, since I started on here, I hear isn't a very well-thought of telescope. I used the 12.5 mm and 6 mm eyepieces to view it.

It's a perfectly good scope for a beginner, don't worry. I started off with one the same size and you can see plenty! Especially when you get to dark sites, darker skies are better than more mirror!

It's a perfectly good scope for a beginner, don't worry. I started off with one the same size and you can see plenty! Especially when you get to dark sites, darker skies are better than more mirror!

couldnt agree more! i got amazing views of jupiter with a cheap fast 70mm travel scope at clumber park with a barlowed cheap 6mm kellner eyepiece! much better than my 130mm can manage in my back garden due to light pollution and thermals from a "hot" town disrupting the atmospher above me.

Hi Payge,

As others have said, there's nothing to worry about with that scope, I spent my first year with an 80mm scope and had great fun :)

Archived