NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light last night

Fedex turned up at work yesterday with the Skymax 127 and EQ3 GoTo ordered by me and my son.

After the cardboard fight we had it all together and took it outside. We checked the polar alignment reticule and it was OK so we left it for darkness to fall and cool down.

We weren't going to put power to it yet so we manually slewed it to a couple of objects then pointed it at a nice bright object over the house.

Michael took the first look - "NO WAY" he shouted.

That was our first sight of Jupiter and (I think) three of her moons off to the right.

WOW!

With the supplied 10mm eyepiece we could clearly see two bands of colour across the surface.

For first light with our first scope we were most impressed. Methinks we'll be trudging up a steep learning curve for a long while to come though.

If it's clear tonight we'll try to set it up for GoTo use and try a few more observations.

:smiley:

Fedex turned up at work yesterday with the Skymax 127 and EQ3 GoTo ordered by me and my son.

After the cardboard fight we had it all together and took it outside. We checked the polar alignment reticule and it was OK so we left it for darkness to fall and cool down.

We weren't going to put power to it yet so we manually slewed it to a couple of objects then pointed it at a nice bright object over the house.

That was our first sight of Jupiter and (I think) three of her moons off to the right.

WOW!

With the supplied 10mm eyepiece we could clearly see two bands of colour across the surface.

For first light with our first scope we were most impressed. Methinks we'll be trudging up a steep learning curve for a long while to come though.

If it's clear tonight we'll try to set it up for GoTo use and try a few more observations.

I had my first telescope come yesterday as well, however I was working alone and had no idea what I was doing. In the end I did catch sight of two white dots, one brighter than the other, but I have no idea what they were and this was after 2 hours. I managed to align the finder scope and the main telescope this morning so I just have to wait to see if it worked tonight.

Payge

WOW!

I can hear your wallet quivering from here! It gets addictive!

Archived