Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polaris is confusing me...

emadmoussa

OK, using the Polar Finder software I'll adjust my polar scope starting around 8:30pm tonight (supposedly it'll be clear). Once I have moved Polaris into the little Polaris circle, then everything is aligned and ready to go.

My confusion stems from the fact that Polaris moves around the NCP, so if my polar scope chart is set to match Polaris at, say, 9:30pm...how the Polar alignment stay intact if by midnight Polaris has already gone outside the 9:30pm circle? I'm hoping I'm clear...

Look at my chart for tonight:

post-27451-0-22871800-1365244435_thumb.j

I'd guess if you put polaris on the right part of its circle then the centre of the polar scope is on the NCP and therefore the scope is perfectly aligned. Polaris should follow its little circle forever more at that point, round and round.

I'd guess if you put polaris on the right part of its circle then the centre of the polar scope is on the NCP and therefore the scope is perfectly aligned. Polaris should follow its little circle forever more at that point, round and round.

Actually, concise and clear answer. Got it. Thanks!

I find polar alignment easy, once it is set it is just a set of co-ordinates that act as a datum point. But you are using it for AP so I guess you need more from it :smiley:

I find polar alignment easy, once it is set it is just a set of co-ordinates that act as a datum point. But you are using it for AP so I guess you need more from it :smiley:

Yes for AP. A slightly small error margin and I've got stars looking like zucchinis.

I thought we called them Courgettes on this side of the pond! Or do you throw your rubbish in a 'trash can' and search for things in the dark with a 'flash light'?? As much as I like our American cousins, they havent swallowed us up (just yet)!!

I thought we called them Courgettes on this side of the pond!

But courgette is French and zucchini is Italian. Last time I looked both France and Italy were on "this side of the pond". SGL has many international members and is the better for it. Lets show them some respect by not picking on their vegetables! :D

Im sorry, was not trying to offend anyones greens, merely found it strange that someone showing as UK used 'zucchini'.

There is, of course the possibility that emadmoussa is an immigrant, just struck me as strange.

Apologies for any offence caused to persons or their veggies!

Im sorry, was not trying to offend anyones greens, merely found it strange that someone showing as UK used 'zucchini'.

There is, of course the possibility that emadmoussa is an immigrant, just struck me as strange.

Apologies for any offence caused to persons or their veggies!

Well, what gives, dude?! Nice, do you expect me not to be offended?!

Nah, not really...not offended. Yes, my education is from the US ;) I just dont understand what the big fuss is all about. I am trying to to fix my Polar alignment, not enter a contest for linguistic analogies...wait until you hear my accent :D

Archived