Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Given up on GPUSB

lensman57

Hi to all,

I have given up trying to get the GPUSB to work on my WIN7-64 laptop, even though the device is present in the device manager under usb connection device, the error message constantly tells me unable to connect. The question I have is that is there anyway that I could guide with PHD and the laptop without eqmod and so on? I have installed the Ascom platform and Ascom unified Celestron driver pack that is compatible with SynsCan so could I possibly use the Ascom driver and connect to the mount via a usb or some other cable? Many thanks for your help in advance. The mount in question is the SW EQ5 pro synscan.

Regards,

A.G

I'm not sure that the rather limited subset of the celestron nexstar protocol implemented by the synscan handcontroller is sufficient for the celestron driver to achieve pulseguiding. Why the reluctance to go the EQMOD route?

With respect to the GPUSB, did you make direct contact with Doug at Shoestring Astronomy? He's usually quite helpful at resolving issues with his products.

Chris.

I'm not sure that the rather limited subset of the celestron nexstar protocol implemented by the synscan handcontroller is sufficient for the celestron driver to achieve pulseguiding. Why the reluctance to go the EQMOD route?

With respect to the GPUSB, did you make direct contact with Doug at Shoestring Astronomy? He's usually quite helpful at resolving issues with his products.

Chris.

Thank you for your replies, There is no mention of a specific com port in the GPUSB manual, in fact the unit does function correctly on my very old Sony laptop running 32 bit XP without any problem, it just does not want to function on the Win 7 64, I tried using the old laptop but I don't think that the specs are up to running PHD smoothly, it only has one gig of mem and an intel celelron processor, PHD just hangs during the capture operation and just freezes. I have tried surfing the forums and there seems to be some who have no problem with GPUSB and win7 64 and some that they do. I think that it may acually be that my win 7 laptop is at fault but unless I barrow another one and try the unit I couldn't be sure.

Many thanks and regards,

A.G

Further to my original with regards to GPUSB not working on my Win7 64, I uninstalled (several times) all the drivers, reinstalled them and no luck, same message, unable to connect- GPUSB not found, This went on for a few days and yesterday I decided to uninstall the GPUSB Ascom driver, restart the windows and boot up with the driver signature disable option, reinstalled Ascom GPUSB driver and got error messages that some files could not be written ( dll ) copied these manually and rebooted GPUSB is now working . I have tested it on the mount and the motors respond to commands but have not had a chance to test it with PHD for guiding as the clouds and rain are back with us in Manchester, hopefully it is now ready for me to practice on once I get a couple of clear nights.

Thanks to of you with your advice.

A.G

• 11 months later...

how did you get on A.G?

I gave up on using win7 64 laptop at the end, bought a used Dell win XP laptop off the ebay and have never looked back, every driver, for CCD cameras, ASI 120s, GPUSB, electric filter wheel work very well indeed.

Regards,

A.G

Archived