Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jup April 3rd QHY 5L-ll IR DFK Hybrid

Space Cowboy

Had another practice with the QHY5L-ll mono on Jupiter tonight. Seeing was horrid but the IR pass filter brought out much more detail and combined with a colour DFK shot using winjupos I got this :

QHY & 3x Tal IR 742 + DFK & 3x Tal + ext :

gallery_4016_230_6813.png

Its getting so small isnt it, its good that your doing these things, will make you a pro with the filters by the time jupiter returns at the end of the year. IR is more contrasty isnt it, good combines youve done. Saturn might be dim with the IR, you might have to go to 1/15th secs exposure. Be interesting to see how the cam copes with that.

Thanks Neil. This cam is so sensitive I'm confident the IR on Saturn will be easily over 30fps. The IR shot above was 55fps at 68% Gain compared to the DFK at 30fps and 71% gain. I've been getting 30fps on Saturn with the DFK at 100% gain so the QHY IR should be well above that.

Its a complete revelation to me that these images can be combined in winjupos even when they are different scales and orientations!

Wish I'd got this cam months ago lol

Edit: Took the avis in firecapture but they wont open in vdub?

Thanks Neil. This cam is so sensitive I'm confident the IR on Saturn will be easily over 30fps. The IR shot above was 55fps at 68% Gain compared to the DFK at 30fps and 71% gain. I've been getting 30fps on Saturn with the DFK at 100% gain so the QHY IR should be well above that.

Its a complete revelation to me that these images can be combined in winjupos even when they are different scales and orientations!

Wish I'd got this cam months ago lol

Well at least youve got it and figured it out now. So will be great when jupiter returns, you will be able to experiment a lot.

around september will be the early start i think. It sounds more senstive than the dmk. though my recollections might have been with the old chip i cant remember. What do you think about me getting a colour version of this chip. either this cam or the zwo optical ? what one do you reckon i might like the most for Jupiter. how much did this cost you again ? one last thing. if i was going to use a colour cam ( on occassion ) how would i go about using de rotation with winjupos with the colour cam, ive no experiance of this. Of course the boxes say RGB how would this work. ( how you do it. ) if i had the colour cam i would want 9 min captures in total, so 3 split i assume for de rotation. Either PM or chat here. what ever you prefer. you have more knowledge about this than i do. so your input would be very helpful, and appreciated

Too early to say how it may compare to the DMK Neil especially on a small low Jupiter but yes I'm already considering selling my DFK and getting the colour QHY which would be easier to combine images as the DFK is so much heavier every time I swap cameras the planet goes off chip and the focus point is completely different so it takes a bit of time changing over. The QHY is so light you can mess about moving it in and out without disturbing the image. The filter wheel idea is further away now lol.

De-rotation of images is what I use in winjupos, just add the measured ims files and click combine images and its done in seconds. Miles quicker than de-rotating avis.

The QHY mono was £229 and the colour version is £159 btw Neil. My preference for the QHY over ZWO was

a: it has a 1.25" body which fits inside the barlow reducing image size if necessary (sadly not enough to use 5x powermate).

b: the QHY has a UK retailer (Modern Astronomy).

c: the ZWO was out of stock. :smiley:

Well at least youve got it and figured it out now. So will be great when jupiter returns, you will be able to experiment a lot.

around september will be the early start i think. It sounds more senstive than the dmk. though my recollections might have been with the old chip i cant remember. What do you think about me getting a colour version of this chip. either this cam or the zwo optical ? what one do you reckon i might like the most for Jupiter. how much did this cost you again ? one last thing. if i was going to use a colour cam ( on occassion ) how would i go about using de rotation with winjupos with the colour cam, ive no experiance of this. Of course the boxes say RGB how would this work. ( how you do it. ) if i had the colour cam i would want 9 min captures in total, so 3 split i assume for de rotation. Either PM or chat here. what ever you prefer. you have more knowledge about this than i do. so your input would be very helpful, and appreciated

Hi Neil,

I was stumped with processing colour files through WinJupos. What I did in the end after help from Chris G was to use PIPP to split the avi into the RGB components. Then process the separate parts as you would normally with a mono cam.

Pete

The QHY mono was £229 and the colour version is £159 btw Neil. My preference for the QHY over ZWO was

a: it has a 1.25" body which fits inside the barlow reducing image size if necessary (sadly not enough to use 5x powermate).

b: the QHY has a UK retailer (Modern Astronomy).

c: the ZWO was out of stock. :smiley:

I like the idea of light weight, it affetcs collimation less. The colour cam is quite cheap. So thats good.. what software are you using now ? have you switched to fire capture ? thanks for all the info. I am learning a lot from you

Hi Neil,

I was stumped with processing colour files through WinJupos. What I did in the end after help from Chris G was to use PIPP to split the avi into the RGB components. Then process the separate parts as you would normally with a mono cam.

Pete

Thats something i would think about Pete, when i had my DBK i was starting to split channels a lot anyway, to get the most out of them. Out of interest did you try de rotating the images the way Stuart suggested ? reason i ask is, its obviously quicker. Which is something i may want from time to time. leaving the splitting of channels to only the best images that have been found if you see what i mean.

I like the idea of light weight, it affetcs collimation less. The colour cam is quite cheap. So thats good.. what software are you using now ? have you switched to fire capture ? thanks for all the info. I am learning a lot from you

Yep the QHY weighs just 45g so similar to a fly landing on the focusser :grin:

Well I've now tried both EZ Planetary and Firecapture and to be honest I'd rather use IC Capture if I could. Firecapture is a wonderful piece of software but it pushes the netbook to its limit and there are almost too many options though with more practice I'm sure this will get easier. EZ would be ok if it would not insist on splitting up the avis after 1.75gigs has been captured.

Thats something i would think about Pete, when i had my DBK i was starting to split channels a lot anyway, to get the most out of them. Out of interest did you try de rotating the images the way Stuart suggested ? reason i ask is, its obviously quicker. Which is something i may want from time to time. leaving the splitting of channels to only the best images that have been found if you see what i mean.

I wasn't using the method Stuart describes although that is sure to be quicker.

I went down the route of combining multiple 2min AVI's by splitting each into its RGB components (whereby keeping the file size to <2Gb), stacking each separate RGB component with slight wavelets, taking individual image measurements and then derotating using derotation of RGB frames. Then took measurement files for each combined derotated image. Finally used derotation of Images to produce the final derotated image.

Pete.

I went down the route of combining multiple 2min AVI's by splitting each into its RGB components (whereby keeping the file size to <2Gb), stacking each separate RGB component with slight wavelets, taking individual image measurements and then derotating using derotation of RGB frames. Then took measurement files for each combined derotated image. Finally used derotation of Images to produce the final derotated image.

Pete.

Yep the QHY weighs just 45g so similar to a fly landing on the focusser :grin:

Well I've now tried both EZ Planetary and Firecapture and to be honest I'd rather use IC Capture if I could. Firecapture is a wonderful piece of software but it pushes the netbook to its limit and there are almost too many options though with more practice I'm sure this will get easier. EZ would be ok if it would not insist on splitting up the avis after 1.75gigs has been captured.

Flys on the focusser sound good. Sounds like firecapture might be the prefered choice if i get a colour cam. Though as you say the lappy will have to be tip top. Defragged, and with a healthy gig on the HD. I am just planning for September, and the start of 60 degrees Jupiter.

Maybe we will all do better than this year. I had high hopes but feel like i was slightly short of what i know is possible. Its exciting times with jup so high Stuart. Both of us are improving and fine tuning the equipment. Its going to be interesting im sure. Can feel the confidence coming back. should have a arsenal of tip equipment to slay jupiter in the uk. Yes its deep in winter. But 60 degrees is nothing to sniff at. Roll on September

Pete.

Thanks for your process Pete, always learn extra stuff chatting. Sounds like a good process for the good stuff we will be getting in September onwards

Flys on the focusser sound good. Sounds like firecapture might be the prefered choice if i get a colour cam. Though as you say the lappy will have to be tip top. Defragged, and with a healthy gig on the HD. I am just planning for September, and the start of 60 degrees Jupiter.

Maybe we will all do better than this year. I had high hopes but feel like i was slightly short of what i know is possible. Its exciting times with jup so high Stuart. Both of us are improving and fine tuning the equipment. Its going to be interesting im sure. Can feel the confidence coming back. should have a arsenal of tip equipment to slay jupiter in the uk. Yes its deep in winter. But 60 degrees is nothing to sniff at. Roll on September

Wish oposition was in September Neil, thats when I had the best seeing last year in those pre-dawn calm skys. As you say the killer shot never came especially when GRS was on show I never had anything better than average seeing.

Now I've got this mono cam and IR filter I feel I've got a new cutting edge and even when seeing is not great I can get some extra pop. :shocked:

Archived