NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Right now: Panstarrs about 4 degrees below M31

I saw it last night. As it was clear I drove up to Keele Observatory. I spent most of the time looking through their 12" f13 refractor (huge thing!), but did pop outisde to have a quick look at Panstarrs through a 10" meade. The last (and only other) time I saw it was 13th March. The tail seemed more spread out now, but that may just be difference between using a pair of bins and a 10" scope.

Just been out again. M31 and Panstarrs in same fov of my 15x70 bins. Can see it from my bedroom window too so don't have to drive anywhere.

SNAP, lovely clear skies over Dumfries but really cold outside thankfully i can see this from inside the house tonight

My best view so far tonight. Located the comet in 10x80's at 9.15pm, again brighter than M31 which was in the same field. Moved on to a 102mm Startravel F5 refractor at 20x using a Meade Superwide eyepiece, brighter view with classic comet appearance. Finally, a closeup view at 80x with the Meade 16" SCT, magnificent, I don't think I'll do better than that. Tried magnifications up to 500x but no more detail was seen. The nucleous was quite circular and with the surrounding coma it looked very much like Jupiter seen through thin cloud at low magnification in a small telescope. This evening produced a definite limit of vision naked eye result. :smiley:

Archived