NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 250pdx NEQ6 or 300p flex-tube goto dob??

RichP2

Hi everyone! Joined up a few months ago and to date I've been content to follow threads and many interesting discussions but haven't got around to posting anything!

I currently have a Skywatcher 127 Mak Synscan but about to upgrade to something that will give better views and images. I'm torn between the SW 250PDX with NEQ6 and the 300P Flex tube goto Dob. I need something that is good for viewing and imaging and not too bothered about weight. I've heard larger newtonians can cause a few issues with awkward eyepiece locations when used on goto EQ mounts which is not ideal on such a big scope. I quite like the look of the SW Alt-Az EQ6 which would address this problem but it's out of my budget at the moment, hence the other choice of unit the 300 goto dob.

Any advice on which one to buy would be gratefully received.

Hello Rich and welcome to SGL!! If you want to image then you will need an EQ mount - and for a largish scope - like the sizes you are considering, the EQ6 is the one to go for as a minimum. For imaging the mount is often said to be 90% of the solution! Do you want to image the moon and planets or DSO's? The choice of scope would most probably be different for each (there are some scopes that will do both but they would be a bit of a compromise).

Thanks Roger, My first choice is the 250PDX and I'd like to image DSO's rather than planets. The 127 Mak has produced some nice luner images but on the standard SW Alt Az mount there's too much vibration for anything but fast shutter speeds using a DSLR. I've modified a couple of web cams for video but haven't had any clear nights to try them out! think I'll sort out the scope and mount first then look at buying a decent CCD camera next.

I assume that the synscan dobsonian isn't too good for imaging then?

The first thing you should get if you want to start deep sky imaging is a copy of 'Making every photon count' by Steve Richards. A 250PDS / NEQ6 can be a great imaging set-up (take a look at some of Steve's 'Steppenwolf' or MikeD's images) but it is a big ask to learn the ropes with this set-up. Something with a shorter focal length and less looking after would be a sensible starting point.

It is worth remembering that for imaging, the one thing you don't need is a huge telescope! for visual, yes, but for imaging longer exposures are the key.

A dob can't be used for deep sky imaging because you would get field rotation fro the altaz mount.

Cheers Rik,

I do a lot of visual work in the garden and in a few darker areas where I work so would like a decent sized scope for this if only for the extra light gathering ability. The imaging capability is important as it's something I'd like to develop. I do quite a bit of digital wildlife photography and prepared to put in the time to get to grips with astro imaging. I'll certainly look up the book you've suggested!

Hi Rich... & welcome to the forum...

As stated above... you'll need an EQ mount with tracking for long exposure pics... the 250 can be a breeze catcher...have you looked at the 200pds ? seems to be a popular weapon of choice

Hi Rich and welcome. The minimum mount for imaging DSO's in my view would be the HEQ5 as it has a good track record and there are many here who use it and so can help at any stage should you discover a problem. I would certainly recommend Steve Richards' book as essential reading if you want to understand what kit to get and why you need it to take good consistent images. There isn't one scope that can satisfy the needs of visual work as well as that of imaging I'm afraid and explains why many people here have more than one scope - (also a good excuse if the other half starts asking questions! :grin:) Scope wise you are looking for what is deemed a 'fast' scope, namely one that has a focal ratio of F7 or less (smaller 'F' number). Anything longer than that and the time it takes to collect the required date also increases as will the need for more accurate tracking. A quick glance at the kit listed in member's signatures in the imaging sections will give you a useful snapshot of what their imaging kit ('rig') typically consists of and if you look at the resulting images that this kit produces, it will also confirm to you what you can expect to achieve and whether this will meet with your own expectations.

Clear skies

James

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Just picked up a copy of Steve Richard's book and a quick look through that, the above comments and rigs used by members has given me plenty to think about. It'll definitely be the NEQ6 Pro but probably with an 8 inch scope to start getting some higher quality views and a smaller unit for imaging. I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks again everyone :-)

Archived