Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An hour with Saturn

kerrylewis

Observed Jupiter last night with a good view of a shadow transit and left the mount set up for the early hours. Clear for Saturn between 2.45 and 3.45. BST when clouds began to come over again from the east.

I didn't think seeing was great. All the main moons visible but the Cassini division hovered on the edge of clear visibility coming into view and then blurring again. I assume this may be because Saturn is low and only just over the rooftops with me. Tried a green filter near the end which improved contrast.

But good to see my old friend again - it's been a while but she's lost none of her beauty

Kerry

Nice report !

The rings are beautifully presented this time around. It's a pity that it's not going to get a bit higher though - it's only just above the rooftops for me too !

I had 30-minute viewing of Saturn last night...very nice. And yes, the rings are tilted forward which was awesome. I agree, the planet's transit would've been great if a bit higher. Mine was slightly over tree tops, but It was comfortably observable from around 1:45am from my back garden. I had to cut my session short after I dropped one of the counter weights on my knee...:(:)

MadAlbert

I mainly use my 10mm eyepiece which with a focal length of 2350mm gives a mag of x235. The 6mm eyepiece gives x390 which is pushing it unless the seeing is really excellent. I've tried it a few times lately but is is rarely better than using the 10mm

Kerry

Archived