Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Sun 29 March 2013 white light

Bizibilder

Where do Raben get their 'Farside' data from ?

There always seems to be countless activity round the corner that never makes it round the limb . . .

Their website doesn't appear to give any information about where the data comes from. I assumed it must originate from some of the solar observing craft, but whether they process raw data or get the AR information from NASA/someone else really isn't clear that I can see.

James

Where do Raben get their 'Farside' data from ?

There always seems to be countless activity round the corner that never makes it round the limb . . .

They might be using helioseismology to estimate this. The sun is constantly vibrating (main band at 5 min oscillation). Like earthquakes, solar quakes can tell us a lot about the structure of the sun. I can imaging surface waves can give hints about the presence of active regions on the far side (combined of course with predicting observed near-side AR after the moved to the far side).

Archived