NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Too Good To Be True?

Hi,

I think I know the answer to this already, but I just wondered what more experienced members thought.

I am currently looking for a fine focuser for my SCT and saw one of these advertised second hand:

williams_crayford.jpg

The William Optics F-SCT2S-S focuser.

The thing is it is being offered for £80!

I couldn't find these for sale in the UK but on an Australian web site they were going for $229.00 AUD.

I did a trace on the guys IP address and it was reported as being from Cupertino, CA in America. The mail header also said it was from icloud or something, so I am not sure what that means as the guy says he is from Fareham in Hampshire, UK.

This sounds worse and worse the more I type! :embarrassed:

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. :smiley:

Edit: Sorry forgot to say. I expressed my scepticism in my e-mail to the guy and he said that he didn't know how much these were selling for now, he bought the item about 5 years ago and couldn't remember how much he had paid. This also rang alarm bells with me.

That's about what I paid for a second hand Revelation SCT focuser which has been pretty good, to be fair. I don't know the WO SCT focuser but WO have certainly offered some truly awful Crayfords.

Like your man, I bought mine about five years ago and can't remember exactly what I paid for it, so that might be legit!!

Olly

They were discontinued some years back, and I cannot recall the price of very few of the assorted bits I have, including the scopes and mounts, never mind a focuser.

The IP address well I worked for a US company, my IP address ranged from somewhere in Holland, to Milwaukee then Frankfurt. What I never had was an IP address in England, specifically Essex. Another time/place my IP was Rhode Island Connecticut, I could however look out the window and see Canary Wharf. Afraid these days that your IP address is not something to be overly reliant on.

Will say that the focuser has a few posts concerning it not being overly great so you may not have missed much if you do not get it.

Thanks for all the feedback on this one!

It seems like looking up the IP address as the webmaster at AB&SUK suggests isn't that foolproof an idea as to checking the authenticity of a sellers location.

I will have a read of the reviews/posts regarding this focuser, but at the end of the day I think I will pass up on this one. With my birthday coming up I may just ask for money from family and put it towards a new focuser with warranty and everything.

Thanks again for all your replies. You've been excellent as always. emo49.gif

If the site begins with an A and is a boys name then they are a pretty reputable dealer in Australia. I haven't used them myself but I wouldn't hesitate to if they had something I wanted.

I've just fitted the Revelation SCT focuser to the big Mak , great bit of kit at a great price . . . http://www.rotherval...peed_d5289.html

Yup, that's the one I have and it's really pretty decent. (And remember I'm a notoroious Crayford hater!) I presume there's a Baader Steeltrack if you'd like something guaranteed to hold a heavy camera without slipping but £104 looks good to me.

Olly

Archived