Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first solar image

I think that's an excellent first attempt. Well done.

I think you might be just a teensy bit out on focus, but you can't get everything right first time :)

If you have a T-adapter and the visual back on your C6 has a T-thread, you can probably put the camera straight onto the visual back and get a full disc image. It will probably be fairly tight, but the focal length of the C6 is about right for it.

James

Nice image Danny

Was that with the webcam or Canon? Could you list the settings/method used to help a struggler like me?

I'd also be interested in the "Gubbins" you mention in your signature to connect to the Baader.

Steve

If you are using a DSLR...First you need to cover your EP. Then you will need a solar filer installed on the front of your scope. Connect the DSLR. Find the sun in the view finder or live view. Set camera to manual. As this is prime focus there is no need for aperture (the scope is the lens) start at 1/500...work your way down to 1/5. Pick the image that is the best exposed. It should be as simple as that.

@ Ronin, yes I am sorry I seem to have posted in the wrong forum, I will try to be more careful next time.

@ Steve and Roger,

I used a T adaptor screwed right on the back with the 500D connected to it. The whole disk doesn't quite fit, (the pic above is a crop to show some of the grain detail.)

It was hard to find the Sun without a finder scope!

Camera settings:

I used a ISO of 100, Photographed in Raw, and made sure the histogram didn't clip.

I did a bit of work in Lightroom to pull the detail out: The main ones are (all to push more detail): clarity up to or near 100%, Tone curve; drag the curve to clip the black off. Sharpen a bit. I also play with exposure, Shadows, Highlights too, but the other settings are the main ones I think.

@JamesF, yes I think the focus may be a bit off. I suspect my collimation may be a bit out, that could be it I think (star test last night was slightly off). I have got my Bobs Knobs ready to go on, just need to pluck up some courage to screw em on! :-)

regards

Dan

Archived