Hello from a chilly Ayrshire

Nogbad

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Is Nogbad a reference to Nogbad the Bad from Noggin the Nog in which case the Arctic conditions should suit you :grin: :grin: , or is there some other significance?

Alan

Yes, it is :) - Daft name but I used it on a couple other boards a while back and I find I start to suffer from multiple personality disorder if I have a different name for every board.

Weather forcast is looking clear and less cold for the Easter break so I think I might be out with the telescope in earnest very soon. In the meantime I have been reading threads and realise if I get the bug in a big way I shall be looking at eypieces and filters and all sorts. At least if the kids ask "what do you want for Christmas" i won't be looking blank and shrugging :)

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes.

Despite the cold I took the telescope out into the garden tonight as the sky is cloudless. Fair bit of light pollution as it is in town but I tried out the 10mm eyepiece and the barlow that came with it and both seem to work. I was able to see Jupiter (and her four moons as bright little pinpricks of light to the left of the planet). Despite the light pollution I could see the banding but not much colour definition. It is a surprisingly good telescope :) and although basic the supplied eyepieces seem functional. Out of focus stars were in concentric rings so I'm guessing collimation is OK too.

The sky shifts pretty quickly at that sort of magnification though. Didn't mean to stay out so long, now very cold but happy. Looking forward to taking this up the hills out the back of the town where there are no street lights....when the snow goes.

Archived