Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My First Moon Images

PaulR18

I've had my scope a couple of weeks now and although I intended on using it purely for viewing I couldn't resist trying it out on the moon.

So this is one my first pictures. Used my 200p Dob and a Sony A200 DSLR. I know its far from perfect as I find focusing difficult through the camera viewer so alot of trial and error is involved.

Thanks for looking and any feedback is welcomed as I'm totally new to this.

post-29520-0-94877000-1364310824_thumb.j

The A200 doesn't have live view, does it?

The focus looks pretty good to me. What I'd try doing next is getting a good sequence of shots to stack them allowing you to pull out some more detail.

James

Registax is probably the tool of choice for stacking lunar disc images. Ideally you want to start with the raw images from the camera rather than JPEGs, but if you do Registax can't read them so you'll need something like PIPP to convert them to TIFF (and it does a load of other good stuff too).

James

That looks pretty good to me, especially for a first attempt! Was it hand held Paul, or have you got a T mount for the camera? If it was hand held it is very good indeed!

I'm still struggling with focus and my camera has live view and I link it to my laptop through EOS Utility so I have an even bigger screen to view the image!

Be very careful though! Astro-photography is very addictive and like any addiction, it can get VERY expensive! :grin:

Archived