Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A tent as an obsy...?

emadmoussa

Dear and heavy is my first thought on MDF, hardboard on battens or battens with black hessian attached. I would do about 5 sections with an opening of hessian screen. An roundish shape, the opening being a removable batten top and bottom.

Jim

In fact, Jim, hardboard seems like a better options - not to mention cheaper :). I'm looking at these http://www.wickes.co.uk/sheet-materials/hardboard/icat/smhardboard/

Won't they bend?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve, it'll be sitting permanently in the garden. Done, fold and put aside :)

Can't be doing both, but the done, fold and put aside bit will not happen without help, one piece no problem but 4/5 pieces stuck together, will all break up first time you move them. Get hardboard, something like 3' x 6' , about 5 of them, screw battens on the sides, cheaper, lighter.

Jim

Thanks, Steve. It'll be great really :D

We may as well have 2 of us fumbling about not quite sure what we're doing. :grin: In all seriousness Imad, its a good idea & i'll be following this thread with interest as I cant afford a shed right now never mind an obsey. :shocked:

We may as well have 2 of us fumbling about not quite sure what we're doing. :grin: In all seriousness Imad, its a good idea & i'll be following this thread with interest as I cant afford a shed right now never mind an obsey. :shocked:

Can you talk my wife into this please :)

Given this is almost permanent install in the garden, how about doing it in trellis and then hanging a cover around it when in use - over time you could grow some hedging or shrubs around it which would certainly be more asthetic. Could even double as quite a nice garden feature with bench and some paving slabs - though these could be added later on as time and budget allows.

Given this is almost permanent install in the garden, how about doing it in trellis and then hanging a cover around it when in use - over time you could grow some hedging or shrubs around it which would certainly be more asthetic. Could even double as quite a nice garden feature with bench and some paving slabs - though these could be added later on as time and budget allows.

Trellis are very nice and would definitely act a double-barrelled instrument. Unfortunately, I don't have full freedom to do whatever in the garden. I think I'll stick with the adjustable obsy. I'm planning to do it this summer...the offer is open for any one who wants to help :D

This is what i have rigged up.Works very well.

Recyled plastic sheets.It came to £100 altogether.

Very easy, if you need to take it down.

Steve

Very nice, Steve. I doubt I have the DIY skills to build something like that...I require much training in this field :) Oh by the way, what's your SC?

Hi there, I've thought about this before for my back garden. I have a neighbour who's kitchen light shines direct into my back garden so have been trying to think of ways of shielding my observing area from the light......All the best with the thought. Let us know if you get a good working solution.

Tony

I bought a discounted £15 Tesco 6'Lx4'Wx6'H reinforced plastic greenhouse last spring to experiment with and it would be fine for a garden obsy. Anchoring in high winds was problematic :Envy:

Archived