NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter with 5X powermate

t_ilan_s

Hi all,

Yesterday I got my 5X powermate, so I couldn't help but go out and start imaging Jupiter. :grin:

Taken with Sky Watcher 200p, Canon 600D and 5X powermate.

Not very pleased from the result... I think I need to collimate my scope.

post-26995-0-99343000-1364206267_thumb.j

Thanks guys for the nice comments. :smiley:

I think my scope is out of collimation because that with 2X and 3x Barlowes together i got a better result, plus the RGB align is not very good...

You've got to bear in mind the atmosphere can limit the sharpness of the image too at high magnifications (not really the right word with imaging). This explains why a 2x or 3x barlow would produce a sharper image.

Hi Ilan, good to see the excellent progress you are making. The first image is very good. The seeing has a major influence on the final image. As for collimation I once got the excellent advice here that this process should be done prior to each session (and sometimes even during an imaging session).

So definitely do invest time in collimation and focusing (using a BMask) preferably do the collimation after you did focus once and then focus again.

If you need any help don't hesitate to contact me.

And as I said very nice image :grin: you should be very happy with it.

Dror

Thanks you all. :smiley:

Just order on eBay collimator, hope it will arrive soon. :smiley:

i'd be happy with that! never had much luck with planetary images :(

You should read some articles about planetary imaging, it could really help you!!

200p + x5 (giving 5000mm fl) + DSLR pixel size makes me think that you're probably pushing the dawes limit for the aperture (note it's slightly different formulae with a central obstruction).

600D has 4.54um pixels IIRC, the dawes limit for 200mm is 0.58 arc seconds, so stealing this from another SGL post:

1000mm FL and 7 micron pixel example

ATAN (7E-3 / 1000) = 0.00040107 degrees

degrees X 3600 = arcseconds = 1.444 arcseconds per pixel

ATAN(4.54E-3/5000) * 3600 = 0.1872 arcseconds/pixel which, if my calculations are correct, is quite far below dawes limit (which will blur the image).

My scope's limit is 1.10. With my 2x I get 0.88 arc sec/pixel which works but can be a little soft.

I think that's pretty impressive for a DSLR. Definitely prefer the first image, too. The second looks overcooked to me. A lighter hand on the gamma would probably give a better result.

James

Archived