Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mounts - what's the next step up?

emadmoussa

I currently have a mead mounted on its fork , and seriously considering replacing the fork mount with something better. The scope is on a pier, and although everything is quite robust; the fork acts like a tuning fork and vibrates occasionally in the wind. Its a bit of a pain when imaging. I have thought of the eq6 pro but its not much of a improvement on what Ive got, even though it is a good mount.

I agree that there is a "gap" in the market price and quality, however, I have been thinking of fitting my ota to the Avalon mount. I think is a excellent quality mount, accurate, and good value for money. The Ioptron 45 looks interesting, very similar to the hp micro 1000; If it was a choice between the eq6 and the ioptron 45, I would choose the latter. However, I seriously like the hp micro 1000, but alas they have put the price up, fairly close to the all singing paramounts.

hypnotoad...............................

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow,tThat Mesu mount looks the business! I am probably showing my ignorance here but why would an amateur need more than the NEQ6? Accuracy? Well, my NEQ6 is crack on as far as I can tell when guided. Load? Gee whiz - what kit are people using? !!!!!

Wow,tThat Mesu mount looks the business! I am probably showing my ignorance here but why would an amateur need more than the NEQ6? Accuracy? Well, my NEQ6 is crack on as far as I can tell when guided. Load? Gee whiz - what kit are people using? !!!!!

Exactly :)

Both, really. An EQ6 probably isn't up to imaging at long focal lengths (think of a focal-reduced C11, for example, which would have a focal length of just under 1.8M). Plus the weight would be getting on to the limit for the EQ6. When I have my C11 on the EQ6 I have to use a shaft extender and set both weights near the end of the shaft. it's as wobbly as heck in that configuration..OK for planetary but it would be useless for DSO.

I thought the NEQ6 carried more weight than the "vanilla" EQ6? I will happily stand corrected......

I've heard it does too - however, the Mesu can carry 4 times that, so would easily handle a C14 with no problems.

I think we need to be careful with the term 'amateur', because on this forum we are nearly all amateurs, and lots of us have very serious kit, some of us own kit that exceeds £10k in total value - so for someone to spend £4k on a mount isn't that surprising, when you consider a visual observer could easily spend £8k on eyepieces. The NEQ-6 isn't more 'amateurish' than the Mesu, it's just priced lower as (presumably) less is spent on producing the whole unit.

I thought the NEQ6 carried more weight than the "vanilla" EQ6? I will happily stand corrected......

AFAIK the only difference was that the NEQ6 was supplied with the counter weight extension bar and the dual dovetail puck (though when I bought my NEQ6 it had neither!). Everything else is the same.

I can see the point of replacing the bolts them with better ones, but until you think they're absolutely necessary. I adjusted the bolts several times without any issues.

problem with waiting until the bolts are bent is getting them out without damaging the thread on the mount. they are next on my list. after paying £1000 for the mount i'm not going to mess about with rubbish bolts for the sake of a few quid.

You hear this, you hear that, you suspect this, you think that....

Well here is what my plain vanilla old EQ6 did, with a C11 working at 2800mm. It could knock out 20 minute subs at that length all night long, in fact I have exposures over 3 hours in length with tight round stars.

The total kit loaded is around 19-20Kg. If you align it properly, balance it properly, and guide it properly, the humble EQ6 is more than capable.

53e30b29-2473-4ac2-b9df-d481a139fe48_thumb.png

I have seen the new AZ EQ6 or whatever it is called and it looks very nice indeed. Everything that could have been improved on the EQ6 looks like it has been. I'm a big fan of Skywatcher products for the simple fact that they have done more than most to put amateur astronomy within the reach of many people.

I can't comment on the Mesu as I know nothing about it, except that it looks weird/ugly (to me, some people love it :D ) and the electrics box looks a bit vulnerable from the pictures. It's certainly got capacity and a few disciples.

My chosen upgrade from the EQ6 was a 10 Micron GM1000HPS, which is a thing of beauty, and offers a reliable easy to align and portable mount, which should make star parties and dark site visits a pleasure rather than a hassle. Quite a bit more expensive than a Mesu, and with a lower capacity of 25Kg, but I'm a big fan of "You get what you pay for". The whole mount is just pretty, I haven't found one bit yet that doesn't exude quality and style, and it imparts a great deal of confidence to the user. Attention to detail is impeccable. It even comes with weatherproof coverings for the mount itself, with zip flaps to allow a scope on, for the electrics box, which is removable and has screw in connectors for the handset, mount and power, and even a cover for the handset. It is GPS enabled and controllable over ethernet. You dont need a laptop to control it. Accurate? Well the skies haven't been on my side to practice much, but I managed to get up to about 7 min subs unguided, at a focal length of 1950mm. It has a 1050mm refractor on now and I am expecting to get 20 minute plus unguided subs from it. The built in dual axis tracking system takes into account atmospheric refraction for your given elevation and makes appropriate adjustments, and if you guide it, you only need to calibrate once even if you go to a different target, as the handset has a setting to allow for different declinations. The handset has a built in polar align routine that will get you polar aligned with just 4 star hops, including the normal 3 star alignment, I find this feature particularly awesome! It is one of the things that will make portable use more rewarding, super accurate, super quick. So far, i'm very happy with the GM1000HPS.

The NEQ6 has the same maximum payload as the original EQ6, however, the extension bar allows you to use less counterbalance weight but at the expense of a harsher moment arm.

Archived