Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2 or possibly 3 Ateroids around Makarians Chain

blinky

This was taken on the 15th of March between 23:15 and 00:15 - I have identified (I think!) 2 Asteroids, 742 Edisona and 1048 Mentha but somebody on another site just pointed out that there is possibly a third Asteroid but I cant find it in Cartes Du Ciel after downloading the Asteroid DB. Can anybody else see if they can identify this object?

Just realised that when viewing the image on here it wont animate - here is the same image on my blog and you can see the objects move: http://wp.me/p1ddBJ-an I think you might need to click the image in the blog post to get it to animate as well?

post-461-0-81322500-1364054719_thumb.gif

There's quite a few in that area, although I think they're all around 20th magnitude or fainter. Here's a screen grab from my CdC (you'll have to reverse it to get the same view as your image).

post-3895-0-10283000-1364055741_thumb.jp

Hmmmm...... I downloaded the file you said but dont see anywhere as many Asteroids as you do - how comes?

No idea. Have you got the asteroid magnutude setting high enough in the Setup area? Alternatively, run it through Astrometrica.

Fab image. Not sure about the 3rd bottom right? There is a cold pixel just to the right of the red frame that moves exactly same as the unidentified object? Camera artefact perhaps?

Cheers

Jamie

Archived