Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Filter advice needed after tonight

Mattscar

Like quite alot of people seem to have done today, I too got home from work and was greeted with clear skies but the promise of clouds later.

Before the sun went down I wanted to have another go at photographing the moon with my iphone, after getting encouraging results the other day.

I was pretty pleased with tonights attempted aswell

IMG 1638

After this I decided to wait a while and see how much observing I could do.

Without boring everyone with all the gory details, I had some good views of Jupiter and Mizar and was trying to find some Messier objects using Stellarium, but a combination of Moon glow on one front, and cloud/street lights on the other meant this was abit futile tonight.

I have been pondering for a while about buying some filters and now I think I know I could do with a street light filter (the lights are infront of the house and Im round the back, but I think it would still really help) and a moon filter. While I was observing the moon and looking through the EP it didnt seem that bad, but once I took my eye away I realised how much it had been straining.

So, the main thing I need to look up now is what filters I can get to do this with a budget of £40-£50.

In addition to the continual wondering about getting a good quality EP.

Every night seems to bring something new to think about :)

Hi Mattscar, I have a Baader Neodymium Moon and Skyglow filter which reduces light pollution as well as making the moon more comfortable to view. They are under £50 (just!) and seem to have good reviews. I do use it a lot- although does not seem to be much because of the weather :sad:

Hello,

I find that observing the moon can be a little uncomfortable. However with my 200p I simply remove the little cap from the main end cap for the telescope, pop the cap on and its much better.

The less aperture makes it much more comfortable. I obviously dont stop-down the telescope for imaging the moon though.

Dan

I also do the same and put my cover on and remove the cap and it helps, I also tried out a couple of filters tonight and the revelation ND 96 worked wonders and really toned it down just enough but not too much, will be interested to see how it behaves on the full moon. I also tried one of the "crystalview moon filters" that I got on ebay cheap and must say so far im pretty disappointed, it does nothing to enhance viewing, gives a slight blue tinge but that's it, again ill re-test it on a full moon and see how it behaves. I would recommend the revelation ND 96 filter though to help with the glare.

I also use the Baader Neodymium Moon and Skyglow filter as I live in a very light polluted area. I find it very useful for fainter objects as it appears to increase the contrast. The only issue is whether your light pollution is caused by sodium or LED lighting. If i is LED lighting most filters won't touch it as they are not designed for the spread of wavelengths involved.

Having said that, the one thing I have to remind myself of is not to use it when I'm observing at a dark sky site as it cuts down the view quite significantly .........

Hope this helps,

Alan

Peeps, stepping down your scopes will not help you when observing the moon, as you are reducing the resolving power of your scope. Your ability to see fine detail will be seriously affected by doing this.

If you really must use a filter then do so but be aware, none will enhance the view at all, and most reduce contrast making fine detail harder to see. I never filter the moon myself as it just isn't needed. It's no brighter than going out on a bright summers day (whatever that is :D ),and that's never hurt my eyes or given me eye strain yet.

Andy's suggestion of increasing magnification is the best cure as no detail is lost. :)

I only do this when using an eyepiece to view the whole moon, I should have said I take it off when using more magnification :)

For me anyway, it really is uncomfortable with the stock skywatcher eyepiece, but I love seeing the whole moon so I use the cap.

Dan

I did notice that using higher magnification reduced the brightness. Like I said, while I was actually observing it I didn't think it was too bright, it was only when I took my eye away. I'd prefer to do as much viewing without the use of filters as far as possible so I'll give it another go and see how it feels next time.

As for what type of street lights, they are the old yellow type around here :)

Fair enough buddy, in that case it makes sense. I love observing the whole globe too. It kinda just looks so awesome observing that whole thing just hanging there doesn't it :)

I'll sacrifice a few minutes stumbling around with a big green blob in front of my eye for that though :D

aha Yeh! After Jupiter and Saturn, the moon in the widest ep I have is my favourite sight.

I'm quite hesitant about using a moon filter, I have coloured ones but don't like the idea of viewing the moon with one of those...it would look strange!

Perhaps when I get a better quality eyepiece I'll brave the glare :)

Archived