Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Motorizing Dob mount

Vince1963

I'm prepared to get shot down for saying this. I do appreciate the effort that has gone in and the enjoyment he will have extracted in doing so, but;

That sort of complexity seems appropriate if dealing with a 12"+ newt, but what's the point in going to all that trouble for a 10"? Surely you'd just jam it on an EQ6 if you want accurate equitorial tracking?

Russell

I'm prepared to get shot down for saying this. I do appreciate the effort that has gone in and the enjoyment he will have extracted in doing so, but;

That sort of complexity seems appropriate if dealing with a 12"+ newt, but what's the point in going to all that trouble for a 10"? Surely you'd just jam it on an EQ6 if you want accurate equitorial tracking?

Russell

I agree, it's understandable for a huge dobsonian, but anything less than 10" can just be mounted on an NEQ-6.

If he made it himself I guess he saved a lot of money (if you ignore the fact the NEQ6 would probably do the job better) and had a lot of fun doing it, but yeh, slightly OTT. I'll definitely stop after the equatorial table myself.

I suspect he did make it himself, as numerous aspects seem custom sized to fit his scope. A point which didn't dawn on me is that having made it, if he does 'upgrade', or should I say, upsize, then it's only a matter of scaling those bits as the rest is readily transferable to a larger scale version of the same. That dawned on me whilst thinking of some speaker builds I've done where I liked a driver and/or comcept and thought it would transfer to a different scale project.

Make no mistake though, my hat's off for having completed a complex build.

Russell

Russell

Hi Russ... Yeah i know what you mean, i thought the same thing, but i was very impressed with the tech :smiley:

I actually like the workstation the most. I love well designed kit, like the cut outs on which he rests the OTA while putting the dob base in position. it's a brilliant piece of work but far too complicated for me. I may one day make a workstation for myself. it would have a perspex lid on the map drawer with a built in red light - maybe his did but I didn't get that far.

Archived