Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging and processing The Plaedes

23 lights, 4 darks and PS gave me this:

post-26268-136338855151_thumb.jpg.

How do I get closer to something like this:

post-26268-136338861449_thumb.jpg

I'm not expecting to be Hubble-esque but I know more can be achieved but wondering if more likely to be more subs, longer subs or something I'm missing in the processing via DSS and PS.

Any advice appreciated!

I assume you have used the ED80 for the imaging scope, and the 1100D as the imager? Have you turned off Noise cancellation? The camera may be automatically clipping off good data thinking that it is noise. Also, the ED80 is F7.5 isn't it? Do you use the 0.85x flattener reducer? The faster F ratio will go a long way in photon gathering. Finally, as Steve Ward said, have longer exposures each. I'd reckon 5 min should get you good data and make that 2 hours integration time.

While post processing the data, use curves, but make sure to select the blue option only, this way you get more control over the dominant color.

By the way, what do you guide with?

Regards,

Sathya

Thanks Sathya yes was using the kit you assumed with the reducer flattened, I have not knowing touched the noise cancellation but I will check!

I have no means of guiding at the moment but am saving up for it debating whether to get ST80 and QHY5 or alternative but appreciate I need something for longer exposures.

Was also using astronomik clip in filter, I hope this isn't reducing data capture?!

Hello Fordos Moon,

Would be nice to know your real name lol :)

The clip on filter container will typically have a printed graph showing its bandwidth. If its just an LP filter, then no problems at all. It will cut away only the Na and Hg lines which come from street lamps. Noise cancellation and taking images in RAW mode make a big difference. They capture all data which can later be selectively filter during processing.

As far a guiding goes, don't purchase expensive stuff. There are things in the market which work the same, sometimes better but for a cheaper price. I use an old refractor for a guidescope, luckily it is also an ED scope. You can purchase a cheap ST-80 or similar 80mm refractor on Astrobuysell UK for cheap or go to a car boot sale on a Sunday You will sometimes find treasures. I use an Opticstar PL-131M monochrome guide camera. It has the same chip as the QHY5 monochrome camera and is also cooled with a fan and heat sink. It does not compress data, so is an excellent planetary camera, I get beautiful pictures off it. A monochrome guide camera is better than a color one because it is 2.5 to 3 times more sensitive and hence 1.25 times more pricier. You can also use it fpr RGB planetary work. I try to do my astronomy/astrophotography on a tight budget, but do not compromise on quality.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,

Sathya.

Hi Sathya my real name is Bob, nickname is Fordos so happy with either!

My noise reduction setting on camera is this:

6a7emaje.jpg

But just tabbed along to see this screen on "standard"

a5ytynu5.jpg

So have switched to "disable" is that right?

post-26268-13634320378_thumb.jpg

Am now going to look at finding the equipment you suggested!

I do use RAW captures :-)

yes you need longer but that image you have posted is very much clipped in your processing so you have lost any of the faint nebulosity that you did pick up, redo the processing and make sure you leave a gap between the left side and the start of your histogram

4 darks isn't enough and there is a good chance you have actually added noise to your image by using so few, try stacking and processing without the darks as well. try to aim to get 20 dark frames if you can

If you mean diffraction spikes they come from the type of scope not the aperture

Newtonians produce spikes because of the spider at the front of the scope. Refractors don't which is the scope being used in this image

Hi

Yes you can post up to a 20mb file, png format works best for display but I think you can save tif as well (use the more reply option and attach a file)

To do this I used an editor called Pixinsight, first I converted your image to a 32 bit image to minimise processing rounding errorrs

Then essentially I stretched the image as much as I could get away with as suggested previously using blue histogram and curves then added some noise reduction from Pixinsight - there are a few other tools in PI but there wasn't enough information in the original file to keep it getting blocky

The advice on more subs is also valid but just saying you do have some nebula captured already

Yes I think so, 16 bit images like tif or png seem to suffer less than 8 bit jpeg images when edited or so I find

I don't use DSS so can't help with file saving options, sorry, unless you can import into PS and resize there ?

Archived