SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Once again M42..Please give me some advice.

Hallo,l

After a few clear nights over here in Hamburg, I decided to have a go at M42. I,am am having difficulty with light polution & ofcourse the lights from the Airport, I would like to pull the plug, but I think i would have some trouble..

Anyway my processing is not the best, so please have a go at this Photo.. would be glad for some help..

Thanks John

M42.TIF

Hello Nebula,

The TIF file is simply too small to notice any detail. However I have still tried to extract some data out of it. The stars are saturated, but my purpose was getting more detail in the nebula. It was a quick process using only levels and curves. The running man has just about appeared. I did not ue any burn tool because the image looks photoshopped if the burn tool is used. However that is a personal choice. I have finished the image with an unsharp mask and a bit of a gaussian blur.

Regards,

Sathya

M42.TIF

Hallo,l

After a few clear nights over here in Hamburg, I decided to have a go at M42. I,am am having difficulty with light polution & ofcourse the lights from the Airport, I would like to pull the plug, but I think i would have some trouble..

Anyway my processing is not the best, so please have a go at this Photo.. would be glad for some help..

Thanks John

Hi John,

I am only a novice and as yet have not ddone the M42 yet but I think you have something there in the capture. I have done a quick multiple level, curve and saturation adjustment in CS2 but i am sure if you took your time you could extract more data out of this file. Hope you didn't mind me processing your capture. BTW I too live 5 minutes away from the airport and you have my heartfelt sympathy.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-07754400-1363390703_thumb.j

Hi John,

you have som nice data in there! I had a quick session in photoshop and this is what I could do. I am not a pro either, but I think it´s quite nice. If you get some more subs it will be even better.

Have a nice day!

post-26311-0-94494300-1363419116_thumb.p

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks, sorry I did not reply quicker.... too much work

wow I,am impressed with some of the results... i now think i need a crash coutse on photoshop, I did not realise how much detail was in there...

many thanks for your help..

greeting... John

I forgot to mention, The original Tif was over 20Mbm, since I could only load under 1 Mb...

If anybody could tell me how to load the full 20Mb , you could have a go at the whole image...

Cheers John..

Hi John

Just to let you know if you were waiting for a response that the link you posted doesn't work. It just takes me to my 'home' dropbox account

Not sure what computer you are using but on a mac you just install the dropbox client on your computer, put your file in the public folder and it uploads automatically

When its done click on the dropbox folder and go to the public folder then right click your file which should have a green tick next to it, selecting dropbox>copy public link from the drop down menu

then just paste the public link in your message

Hi John

Yes these cloud things can be confusing if you aren't familiar with them but you're nearly there, ....

Got the message "Nothing Here. The file you are looking for has been deleted or moved"

Can you see the file in your dropbox folder ?

I gave your image a go as well. For sure quite a bit of data in there to be worked with. :)

Had to work a little bit on your gradient, and also a bit on the noise (i think i ended up washing it out a bit much).

You have some dust on your sensor, so taking flat frames will help remove those as well as It will also more or less fix your gradient problem.

I'm for sure not very good at processing yet though, so someone else more experienced will probably give you a lot better final result with the same data.

But for sure, you have a lot of data allready, so don't give up! :)

Edit: forgot to crop of edges, cropped a tiiiiny bit off now. :)

post-9520-0-26069400-1364761335_thumb.pn

Hallo again..

I can see that you all have been busy, really nice processing there, I also noticed that there is a lot of gradient there, I had taken 4 subs each 300 sek, and 6 ,150 sek, so I know now roughly how long I need to Image..

As I mentioned before, the Airports lights are a pest, so I used a Neodyminum filter to cut off some of the light..I guess that is also causing the round design on the Image. I will have to sort that one out....

my sensor will have to be cleaned I know, I have not tryed taking flats before, so off into the unknown..

I,am planning to make a new cooled camera, should help a lot.. ( I,am working in a maschine shop here, Cnc Lathes & all that stuff) so the plans are on the way..

Anyway many thanks for your help...when I take more, I know where to post them..

Archived