NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Panstarrs Viewing Info

bendiddley

Just come across this web page which has lots of useful info about viewing the Panstarrs comet. Looks like there's going to be plenty of opportunity to see it over the next few weeks, which is good as I haven't seen it yet. The local astronomy club emailed it to me, hope others find it useful.

http://www.astronomynow.com/news/n1303/11panstarrs/

Does anyone know what it's current magnitude is? In that article it first talks about PanSTARRS being mag 0.0 but then further down says on the 13th March it will be mag 3.3. All a bit confusing. If it is mag 3.3 we won't have a prayer of seeing it naked eye in a bright twilight sky. Perhaps i have read it wrong.

Does anyone know what it's current magnitude is? In that article it first talks about PanSTARRS being mag 0.0 but then further down says on the 13th March it will be mag 3.3. All a bit confusing. If it is mag 3.3 we won't have a prayer of seeing it naked eye in a bright twilight sky. Perhaps i have read it wrong.

A couple of us tried after sunset last night. On a causeway with a clear view of the horizon and saw nothing either with binos or photos. There twilight just drowned it out. Going to have to wait for it to get a bit higher methinks. Gadzooks but it was freezing out there ;-)

AN have it at +3.3 mag

s@n have it at +3.0

best time for viewing is at 1915hrs mid uk

Nice little photograph,

Gates the sprits up after the dreadful skies lately.

The snow has finally passed to the south-west and the skies above the IOW are relatively clear with a little haze and cloud clearing west.

2 Hrs to sunset, 80mm - chck, 10x 50s-check, Camera-check. Now to get something hot to take out to Rocken end for a nice West to SW sea Horizon.

Good luck everyone.

Mick IOW

See my reports in other PANSTARRS threads. It can be seen (I saw it yesterday) but it is very difficult and certainly NOT the naked eye object (from the UK) we had hoped for. Will make a nice bino object though over the coming days and weeks.

See my reports in other PANSTARRS threads. It can be seen (I saw it yesterday) but it is very difficult and certainly NOT the naked eye object (from the UK) we had hoped for. Will make a nice bino object though over the coming days and weeks.

I'm looking forward to seeing it with my scope too at some point, but got to get the bino's on it first, i'm too impatient to wait for that.

For those of you who are suffering from bad weather conditions, I found on the french board webastro.net a picture taken last night close to where I'm living.

http://www.webastro....ad.php?t=104662

Quite nice picture, isn't it ?

That's a great picture and gives hope we may see something. Mag 3.3 sounds very tricky in a bright twilight sky :(

Archived