Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time with a 12" Dob

nephilim

On Sunday I was contacted by a fellow member of the forum & asked if i'd like to meet up in the lakes as monday was looking good, as I was up here anyway of course i agreed, after fretting most of Monday about the weather (snow,clear sky,snow etc) it finally got to 7:30pm & it was clear, anyway we met up at Haweswater (He'd travelled from Manchester!!) a very remote spot in the western lakes, it was about -4/-5c with a bitter wind. We both set up, me with the 200p, Matej (SGL member Skiorth) his 12" Dob, now as iv only had my scopes since last Oct, with the grim weather iv only managed a handful of nights with even less objects.

So firstly with Matej getting the objects in view we (He) went to Auriga, M36,37,38 were astounding, iv never seen starfields through a scope & the richness was beyond words (not sure of the make but we used his 30mm 82deg) Then onto the Leo triplet with all 3 galaxies in one fov, next M81,82 in Ursa major, again in one fov, he showed my how to find them in my scope using my limited ep range, my basic skywatcher 25mm again showed both Galaxies in the same fov. Next was M51 (in his) showing very feint structure (beautiful) next, the xmas tree nebular & then the Eskimo which showed very feint dust lanes (maybe my imagination) onto M1 & although i'd heard it was tiny & barely visible I was amazed at how big it was plus after a minute or so, showed slight mottling. Next through my scope, the double cluster in Perseus witch was simply stunning, we saw plenty more but they have all blended into what i can only decsribe as the best nights viewing i've ever had!! (If Matej is reading this, I know the order of the things we saw are different from my report but there was just SO many :grin: )

This has put all the disappointments over the weather into perspective as one night like last night has made me forget about how ***** our weather can be.

As a side note, I was amazed at how simple a Dobsonian base is to use & now totally understand why many are drawn to them, for purely visual they're perfect while i was messing about with tube rings,knobs & my mount to get just one object in view, Matej had found 3 & all in different parts of the sky!!! If my intentions were not towards AP I wouldnt hesitate to sell up & buy a big Dob with a couple of widefield EP's.....MAGIC!!

A very big thankyou to Matej for showing me the things i've been struggling with & for giving me a night to remember.

Steve

I thought he was risking it coming from Manchester (2hrs away) It wasnt perfect seeing as banks of cloud kept coming over, BUT my god it was worth it :grin: I had to go after 3hrs cos i couldnt handle the cold (I'd started feeling quite warm which definatley wasnt right!!haha)

Anyway, I'm coming down to Hampshire in a few months when ur up & running so u can show me how to use my upcoming NEQ6 :grin:

I thought he was risking it coming from Manchester (2hrs away) It wasnt perfect seeing as banks of cloud kept coming over, BUT my god it was worth it :grin: I had to go after 3hrs cos i couldnt handle the cold (I'd started feeling quite warm which definatley wasnt right!!haha)

Anyway, I'm coming down to Hampshire in a few months when ur up & running so u can show me how to use my upcoming NEQ6 :grin:

Sure, no problem. If I know how myself :D

that wont be your imagination on the Eskimo the filaments do show at a dark sky they sort of pop in and out. sound like you and your "mate" had some fun

Cheers Dan, the pure simplicity of the dob was amazing & the views through 12" the same. Last night sort of put my faith back in this hobby.

Steve

i love my 12.5" dob it's given me some great nights..

Well if I struggle with AP & find I dont have the patience for it then I'll happily sell up & as I said, 12" dob & couple of wide low mag ep's. The views through it were breathtaking :smiley:

Great report of a great night! Big dobs are just awesome visual instruments, aren't they

They certainly are Michael, I was very much an EQ person due to tracking etc, but that 12" Dob, some fantastic widefield EP's (i've found out now that they were ES 82*), a lovely dark site & plenty of objects I'd wanted to see for myself for many years, made it a night that will stick in my mind forever :grin: I'm definatley 'on the fence' when it comes to the great EQ/Dob debate now. :grin:

Steve

Plus with a big dob you will never be accused with being a cheat wink.gif

Prepare for aperture fever though.my 12" is already too small for my ambitions and a 18-20" is in the plans

Nah, I wouldnt dream of cheating :shocked: I'd be in no way whatsoever tempted to buy one of these http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-400p-flextube-goto.html :rolleyes::grin:

unless your about 6'6 and have a really big car you wont enjoy the 400p,its too big for most without a step,it wont fit through doorways and isnt really good for taking out to dark sites.you would be better off with a 16" lightbridge.i nearly bought one but im holding off for an 18" or 20" sumerian,probably intime for next winter if things work out

unless your about 6'6 and have a really big car you wont enjoy the 400p,its too big for most without a step,it wont fit through doorways and isnt really good for taking out to dark sites.you would be better off with a 16" lightbridge.i nearly bought one but im holding off for an 18" or 20" sumerian,probably intime for next winter if things work out

Sounds nice mate.

Archived