NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pextax 40mm XW

alan potts

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've tried a 30mm XW but not the 40mm. They are premium alright but personally I prefer the XW's of 10mm and shorter.

I think the 2" XW's have gone out of production now so that might boost the attraction of this one.

I would go for it myself but I have a 41mm Panoptic and I don't think at this level one will outshin the other.

I noticed some Ethos too a line below. 6mm 10mm and 21mm, I am interested in them but I am Don't know the man so I am not going for them, What I would do with a known site member is pay for them then get them to post them to me when I am in England. I truth I would like all of them but them the two Delos would need a new home and the 20mm Nagler could well be on borrowed time.

Alan

Damo,

You just cant wait to spend my money. I think the price on the 21mm is a little top end , it is not posted price and you know that other one took a long time to go on a B&S and it was less, the 10mm is good. at 360.

I have just got Ethos fever again, I must take the antibiotics.

Alan.

Naemeth,

OK I know it is not give away price but they are fairly rare now. It is not bad when you think the Televue Panoptic 41mm is 440 pounds or thereabouts.

Alan.

If I had the money (even if it was earmarked for the HEQ-5), I probably would. But I don't sadly.

That and my focuser only takes 1.25" eyepieces, so wouldn't be able to use it anyway :rolleyes:

Its a good price, Pentax XWs hold their price well and come up rarely.

I gave up waiting for a secondhand 30mm and much as I am aghast myself at spending THAT much on a singke eyepiece. Just had the estimable FLO ship me one. Dammit.......i am still in shock myself. Dont exoect the sky to be clear any time soon.

Damo,

You just cant wait to spend my money. I think the price on the 21mm is a little top end , it is not posted price and you know that other one took a long time to go on a B&S and it was less, the 10mm is good. at 360.

I have just got Ethos fever again, I must take the antibiotics.

Alan.

Alan

I don't have any of my own to spend so this is almost as much fun :-)

I agree with you though, the price is a little steep. I think £500 (70% of new cost) would be closer to the mark.

Did I tell you lately how good this eyepiece is!!!

I agree with you though, the price is a little steep. I think £500 (70% of new cost) would be closer to the mark.

I tend to agree re: the price, ideally, but I'd probably not quibble over 10% to be honest. Anyway, if the eyepiece is still around in 24 hours or so you can probably get the delivery included and maybe the whole package for £530. That would be near enough for me to bite !

Not that I'm going to, on this occasion.

I agree re: the sellers credibility being OK.

I am still wondering if i would see an improvement through the XW compared to my 10+ years old Pentax XL 40 in my f8.6 refractor.

On the other hand i love fact that the XL 40 weights halve as much as the XW and fits in weight wise perfectly with my zoom ep.

The only problem, i would probably have with the XW as well, when i barlow the XL 40 the eye relief gets quite big and i have to move my eye away from the ep to get a sharp view.

Damo,

Errr, No I don't remember you every mentioning it.. I am going to resist, I am after a mammut camera from Modern Astronomy so that is 400. I think at 22 eyepieces I have enough for the moment , but I would like one and maybe a 3.5mm Delos.

Alan.

I never really believed this stuff, until now.

I have been watching Most Huanted lately and have to say they either read these things up beforehand or there really is something it these Mediums

Can you believe this, Damo has taken over my body and typed into my e-mail address and sent a message asking the guy that is selling the 21mm Ethos to accept the money now and send the eyepiece on to Hull later, can you believe it, he even said he was interested in the 10mm to, how did he know that, this should make the 6 o'clock news.

Alan, not pennyless but getting there.

I managed to do a deal with the gentleman on A B&S with the 10mm and 21mm, I also got a 5mm Pentax XW from a site member.

Now do I need a 40mm XW to stop the 14mm and the 5mm getting loanly.

Alan.

Loanly? As in, I need a loan to get one? :D

Seriously, I am tempted by the XW40, but it would just languish in the EP case, next to the big hole where the 31T5 normally sits (a hole because the Panzerfaust 31T5 would be in use in the diagonal), just like when I had a 40 Paragon that saw no use for a year.

Michael

If you are Dutch that is excellent but I don't believe you are, well seen, it's a mistake though a fair cryptic joke.

I think you would use the Pentax it is in a different class to the Paragon, I use my 41mm a lot in my 12 inch as it is the lowest magnification and biggest FOV. If I did not have the Panoptic it would be gone.

Alan.

Archived