NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQMOD & NEQ6...why not working?

OK, downloaded and installed ASCOM and EQMOD.driver, connected EQDIR adapter, ran EQMOD interface...then, connect...ERROR CANT FIND PORT. Through the Planetarium it won't connect to thw telescope either. Also, if I click EQMOD exe icon, it flashes and disappears..then loads again..then disappears and so on..

I am thinking there's something wrong with machine as it had a problem with Registax earlier. And will probably restore to factory settings...

What do you guys think? I am pulling hair out with frustration...

EQMOD isn't intended to be run as a stand alone program, it is a driver and so is usually launched by another application. Unfortunate some apps will immediately close EQMOD if mount connection fails and this stops you seeing potentially useful error messages.

Use the toolbox app that installs with EQMOD to first setup the driver with the correct COM port and then hit the connect button. The EQMOD UI should appear - possibly displaying an error message such as 'port no found', 'port in use' or 'timeout'.

Port not found means the port specified in the setup is no longer present. Check what com ports are present using the windows device managet.

Port in useeans that the port is present but some other applicaion has control of if - this may well imply you've allocated the wrong port number.

Timeout tells you that eqmod has found the port, opened it and sent out a message but there was no reply. This could be down to a cabling issues or serial port driver issue - if using an eqdir based upon the prolific chipset make sure you have installed the latest drivers for it.

Chris.

Firstly, you need to find out which com port your computer has assigned to the EQdir module, you can find this in the windows device manager. Make sure the com port number is below 16, otherwise the module will not be seen by EQAscom. Next, from the Start menu, select EQMOD>EQASCOM>scripts>setup EQASCOM. From here you can select the com port number and your location coordinates. Select OK and then run EQASCOM.

Thanks a lot, guys. I managed to get EQMOD to talk to the telescope...experimented a bit with the planetarium software (goto) which slewed to the wrong position, assuming there's a problem with the alignment or settings. I'll have a look and configure things correctly when time allows :)

sounds a lot of hassle to me, i was thinking of going down this route as i'm interested in planetary webcam imaging and was thinking about going down the dslr route as i have one kicking about , but i think i'll wait and buy a big dob and just look lol i though this gadgetry would be my thing but from what i'm reading the issues are sent to try even the best of us,

i'm sure you'll sort it soon and be flying round the skies mate ..

sounds a lot of hassle to me, i was thinking of going down this route as i'm interested in planetary webcam imaging and was thinking about going down the dslr route as i have one kicking about , but i think i'll wait and buy a big dob and just look lol i though this gadgetry would be my thing but from what i'm reading the issues are sent to try even the best of us,

i'm sure you'll sort it soon and be flying round the skies mate ..

I would say there are moments of frustration, many of them, but I presume that's the nature of astro photography- a field if you're new to will require overcoming a steep learning curve.

i have to be honest i have all the kit for webcam imaging , but when i get a gap in the clouds i'm too scared to set everything set up just in case it all dissapears behind the clouds again.. so it's usually just the scope . well i'll have to see what the better weather brings maybe when the clocks go forward i'll have time to go out before it gets dark and set everything up ready in wait of darkness, and my ankle will hopefully be getting better as well..

maybe next year an neq6 will be an idea, i'll follow your progress as a marker..

Archived