Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51 Galaxy

Although my NGC3628 data failed due to murky skies last night I had better luck with M51, I guess it's a brighter target so came through better.

I'm sure I can improve on this with a better sky but I'm quite pleased with this shot.

This is x19 5min lum 1x1 and x9 3min 2x2 each RGB, 10" GSO and asa reducer using Atik 314L.

post-13692-0-20546700-1362477248_thumb.p

Hello, it's a good capture but I think your colour balance is a bit off. I used regim to perform an automatic colour calibration (by recognising stars and looking up their true colour in a catalog) to get this version

post-774-0-16082100-1362477964_thumb.jpg

Many thanks everyone,

Hello, it's a good capture but I think your colour balance is a bit off. I used regim to perform an automatic colour calibration (by recognising stars and looking up their true colour in a catalog) to get this version

post-774-0-16082100-1362477964_thumb.jpg

I had a play with the colour Themos:

post-13692-0-52099600-1362557270_thumb.p

Nice image and nice star colour. Is this a crop or could the focus have been slightly off? Maybe just a bit of softness due to the sky conditions...

This is a slight crop but I think you are right in that the sky was so murky it's softened it a bit which is annoying. Focus was bang on with a batinov mask so should have been ok.

I've added a black border to the above re process to make it a bit smaller.

I'm looking forward to another go with better sky!!!

I think you are right in that the sky was so murky it's softened it a bit which is annoying.

I suspected as much and have had similar trouble my self... just adds to the fact that this is a really nice image.

Archived