NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cheap Refractors in toy shops and department stores

Matt1979

I have been reading recently about how poor most of the cheap toyshop/department store refractors are, especially the cheapest ones with plastic tubes. A book I have called "Stargazing with a Telescope" makes a very good point about these toys, their poor optics and stopped-down lenses.

However, I am not sure if some of the telescopes are as bad - I have been researching this kind of refractor out of interest and I saw that a toy company called Hamleys produce a £49.99 refractor - has anyone heard if this one is any good? I was just curious. I have also seen the Telescience refractor on a number of websites.

I am not sure how bad this toy scope is, though:

http://uk.shopping.com/grafix-science-works-star/2tybDVi5rFI6acQ4JtYwbw==/info

One review on Amazon said that nothing could be seen with the scope at night!

I agree with mark - I got my Jessops own £30 telescope... I thought it was amazing, Hahahaha. Although I soon realised it was very VERY standard but it was amazing when looking through it and seeing moon craters for the first time after hours of searching manually... However I do think that many people are misled in thinking there getting a great deal; thinking they will be able to see many objects, like I did... I don't regret it though :)

I agree with mark - I got my Jessops own £30 telescope... I thought it was amazing, Hahahaha. Although I soon realised it was very VERY standard but it was amazing when looking through it and seeing moon craters for the first time after hours of searching manually... However I do think that many people are misled in thinking there getting a great deal; thinking they will be able to see many objects, like I did... I don't regret it though :)

I'm still "using" my jessop scope, it's painful with the LP i have to deal with.

Only just about managed to get the Pleiades open cluster with it.

Some (though not all) do appear to be optically exceptionally poor. If they're optically ok then they should do an ok job (remember Galileo's telescopes were smaller than many of these), but some of those are let down by poor build quality or inadequate mounts. And then there are some (like the National Geographic ones, perhaps?) that are sold with 0.965" eyepieces. Why is that sensible today? And then there are the stupendously exaggerated claims for magnification and the provision of eyepiece and barlow combinations that would attempt to provide five to ten times the actual reasonable maximum that should be expected from the scope. There's really no excuse for that.

I think it's fair to say though that if you want a toy, buy it from a toy shop. If you want a telescope, buy it from a telescope shop.

James

For 50 pounds you could get this small reflector made by a proper telescope company.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-76-mini-dobsonian.html

though I recently got an old 60mm refractor on ebay for 10 pounds that I quite like (it'll be very child friendly in the end) . The optics are apparently the best bit (well the focuser is mainly metal and ok). The main problem with that one is the finderscope (or lack of one), the included eyepiece section (removed, adaptor bought), the mount (too flimsy when extended but okay when not & the size of small child) and the tripod head .. anyway I've been reading things like this:

http://davetrott.com/telescope-projects/how-to-fix-a-cheap-telescope/

Unless that expensive telescope is the Hubble :)

James

Not unless you have ~$10 Billion to spend in running and construction costs, and the access to rockets etc. ;)

I actually think something like the Celestron Travel Scope 70 is a better bet for sub £50 than the mini Heritage. The mini Heritage has a spherical mirror and isn't nice on eyepieces at F/4. Plus the travel scope has it's own bag :)

I actually think something like the Celestron Travel Scope 70 is a better bet for sub £50 than the mini Heritage. The mini Heritage has a spherical mirror and isn't nice on eyepieces at F/4. Plus the travel scope has it's own bag :)

You forgot the other feature of the Travelscope, which is that it's a spotting scope - so you can use it in the daytime as well.

I got one to take on the plane, on holiday, last year. It's actually pretty good (except for the finder - which is pointless - and the tripod - which is too wobbly).

You forgot the other feature of the Travelscope, which is that it's a spotting scope - so you can use it in the daytime as well.

I got one to take on the plane, on holiday, last year. It's actually pretty good (except for the finder - which is pointless - and the tripod - which is too wobbly).

That's reassuring. I've been thinking of using one as a wide field finder for long focal length scopes.

James

I'm still "using" my jessop scope, it's painful with the LP i have to deal with.

Only just about managed to get the Pleiades open cluster with it.

I had forgotten about the Jessops telescope. I can imagine that although a very standard refractor, the optics are generally good enough and that Jupiter's moons and Saturn's rings would be visible.

That's the funniest description for a telescope I ever saw

"Grafix Science Works Star Gazer Telescope Gaze and explore the solar system Features lens cover Focus adjuster Reflector 3 eye pieces Eye piece cover Tripod Viewing angle adjuster 3 magnifications 20x, 30x, 40x"

Lens cover, awesome

Focus adjuster, awesome!

reflector....on a refractor? erm.

3 eyepieces...awesome!

Tripod...awesome

Viewing angle adjuster...erm.....awesome?

3 magnifications!!! AWESOME!

made me laugh anyway

Archived