M87 and Leo Triplet 3rd March 13

kirkster501

Not an often posted but I did 20 mins on M87 early this morning - 3rd March - before packing up. I have always been fascinated with this galaxy. Not a particularly exciting subject visually but its more of what it actually is - the largest known object in the Universe with a mass of a trillion suns and a 10 Billion solar mass black hole in the centre and is 60 million light years away - the most distant of the Messiers by far (so I've read). This image is uncropped on my ED80 - I will have a go with my RC8 next time it is clear to get larger image scale. There are loads of small and faint galaxies in the background you'll see too. This image is nothing to write home about but unusual subject so I thought others may like to see it....

post-16295-0-35109600-1362327127_thumb.j

Also had a go at the Leo Triplet too. Stars look a little big on this to me. Any suggestions please as to why?

post-16295-0-15012700-1362327198_thumb.j

Copycat ;) No, you've done much better than me, nice contrast and plenty of detail on that triplet :)

Lol :) The M87 was harder to be honest. Not much there on the picture. Just a fascinating galaxy. On my RC8 and a CCD I am sure it will be great.

Thanks. It's small and lonesome since its 60 million LY away and I used a ED80 with flattener/reducer so very wide field and the galaxy is small as a consequence. You can see lots of small galaxies on this shot, as I said in another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived